Alerts Update: Not receiving email for any alerts.

RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
admin
Hi All, 

I hope you are doing fine.

Issue: Many users in the community have been reporting that email alerts have been disabled.

Q: Do we need Fing Premium in order to Access E-mail Alerts now?
No, Alerts are not part of Fing Premium.

Q: What Happened then, why am I not receiving e-mail alerts?
Recently, it seems as if we had a higher than a usual number of people marking Fing emails as Spam coming mostly from Fingbox. This caused AWS (server provider) to suspend our service over the weekend (some automatic monthly ISP report could have been missed by this). This has now been resolved. However, we continue to investigate this to prevent it from occurring in the future. As an emergency measure, we updated all accounts of Fingbox users to have disabled mail notification.

Q: How do I get my email alerts again?
To change this, in order to get alerts again:
All users will see on their Web App page/Mobile app, that they are now on “Mobile-only” notifications, or “Disabled” if they have disabled push notifications as well.

To restore, they must edit the mail notifications and put it to “A summary email with multiple events”, or any other option they prefer (to access this on the Mobile App, simply go to the ‘Account’ Tab and choose ‘Notifications settings’. 

Our Marketing Team will send a dedicated mail later on today to let everybody know what happened and that they can enable the email alerts back in few clicks by going to the account settings on the web or mobile app.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you as ever for your feedback.
The Fing Team

Robin (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
RobinCiaranmagptUnknown

Comments

• ChromePlanetChromePlanet Member Posts: 10
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 27

Suddenly I stopped receiving emails indicating the arrival and departure of users based on presence of devices assigned to them. Any settings I can check?

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,801
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @ChromePlanet , did you do any OS update prior to seeing this stop?   AKA, update to IOS14 etc?  The MAC address virtualization could affect alerting as you could need to reallocate device to the users.  

Also, did you check each user in the people section and confirm that there the device you previously used for presence is still associated, that those devices show as on line or offline properly and that the device is being used for presence.  (you would see a small person icon on those devices being used for presence)
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Yes, all those settings are correct. In fact, there is a green light next to the person under People who is on-site with their device. I just never get the notification email anymore when that person comes and goes.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    admin
    Yes, all those settings are correct. In fact, there is a green light next to the person under People who is on-site with their device. I just never get the notification email anymore when that person comes and goes.
    Is it happening to one user or all users? have you assigned any apple device under presence to those users?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Robin said:
    Is it happening to one user or all users? have you assigned any apple device under presence to those users?
    All users and yes.
    admin
    Thanks @ChromePlanet
    Can you check if those Apple devices are using IOS14 and if they are, please refer to this article and disable the Private MAC address and then check if the issue persists: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    This is not the issue. I upgraded all my devices to iOS 14 in September. This issue didn't start happening until 10 days ago, around the time I changed my email address on my Fing account. I am still getting the iOS notifications when users come and go, just not the emails.
  • phthomas71phthomas71 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    How do I receive notifications when devices try to join my network -- and quickly decide whether to approve or deny access? In previous versions of the iOS app, I received them, but they stopped working at some point.

My issue is that Fingbox is blocking access to my home WiFi network because of Apple's decision to randomize MAC addresses. Because I don't know that's happening, I'm burning through my cellular data plan. While the issue is problematic, the lack of notifications magnifies the problem and reflects poorly on Fingbox, not just Apple, as it's now costing real money.

As people have noted in other threads, MAC randomization really makes Fingbox (Fing app?) unusable, which is disappointing becauseI really like the device and iOS apps.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Paul
  • phthomas71phthomas71 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    To clarify, I'm not receiving blocked device notifications for Apple devices that previously were recognized. I added an entirely new device (a smart water and light monitor for plants) after posting this question and received a notification to approve or block that device. I don't receive similar notifications for my husband's, friend's and my own Apple devices that have been approved on my Fing/network since March or April of this year.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.
    admin
    This is not the issue. I upgraded all my devices to iOS 14 in September. This issue didn't start happening until 10 days ago, around the time I changed my email address on my Fing account. I am still getting the iOS notifications when users come and go, just not the emails.
    Can you check under SPAM folders if you received any emails or not? Also, Can you follow this article and then check if all alert settings are correct: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/network-device-digitalfence-alerts/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    edited October 31
    I appreciate your trying to help, but none of the instructions in that article appear to apply to the current iOS app. The menu layouts and names of settings are incorrect. Also, none of them address the settings for the issue I am having, email presence notifications for network users. The article only addresses email notifications for devices.
  • MoonShadowMoonShadow Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I am no longer receiving device emails, this started yesterday.  Both the Android app and the website are configured to send out email alerts, yet, I no longer receive them.  Yes, I have checked my spam folder.  I receive the Android push notifications, but with several devices connecting and disconnecting, I only see the latest one.  Has anyone else run into this?
  • MoonShadowMoonShadow Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Well, someone did something on the backend.  I received an email asking me to check my email notification settings and, when I did, I noticed that the email notification setting was set to "Do not send".  I changed it to "A separate email for each event", and magically, they started coming in.  I can tell you, as a network engineer and system administrator professional, that this setting was set to "A separate email for each event" when I posted this on Saturday.
  • UnknownUnknown Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Hi, I want to ask why now o didn't receive my monthly Internet performance report? do I now have to be a premium member to receive that report?

• magptmagpt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Robin said:
    Hi All, 

Issue: Many users in the community have been reporting that email alerts have been disabled.

Recently, it seems as if we had a higher than a usual number of people marking Fing emails as Spam coming mostly from Fingbox. This caused AWS (server provider) to suspend our service over the weekend (some automatic monthly ISP report could have been missed by this). This has now been resolved. However, we continue to investigate this to prevent it from occurring in the future. As an emergency measure, we updated all accounts of Fingbox users to have disabled mail notification.

All users will see on their Web App page/Mobile app, that they are now on “Mobile-only” notifications, or “Disabled” if they have disabled push notifications as well.

To restore, they must edit the mail notifications and put it to “A summary email with multiple events”, or any other option they prefer (to access this on the Mobile App, simply go to the ‘Account’ Tab and choose ‘Notifications settings’. 

Our Marketing Team will send a dedicated mail later on today to let everybody know what happened and that they can enable the email alerts back in few clicks by going to the account settings on the web or mobile app.

The Fing Team

Done. Hope is now working well. Reason why so many users (Fingbox) became frustrated was this error came right after yesterday App update, and the push of the premium services.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 963
    250 Likes 50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Awesomes
    admin
    magpt said:
    Robin said:
    Hi All, 

The Fing Team

Done. Hope is now working well. Reason why so many users (Fingbox) became frustrated was this error came right after yesterday App update, and the push of the premium services.
    Thank you for confirming. And I do understand that frustration, it really was unfortunate timing. Sorry for any confusion. Thuanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    magpt036444744808