Fingbox breaks Asus aimesh

MrWatt
MrWatt Member Posts: 6
First Comment Photogenic

I have been running fingbox with an asus ac68u for a few years. A few months ago I added an Asus Blue Cove as a node and have experienced no end of problems. Fingbox is constantly indicating the blue cove node is disconnecting and reconnecting even when I'm directly connected to that node. It shows devices with IPs that are different to the actual address that is shown on the asus admin interface. Some devices are listed multiple times against the same IP - one that is in range, the other connected and 8 others disconnected. I don't understand what is going on - is fingbox breaking my network?

I'm also finding that I can't control device internet access via fingbox - blocking internet access also kicks the device off the network. Is this normal? I have resorted to using the router to determine client internet access but this is not ideal.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MrWatt

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox or other devices, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MrWatt
    First Comment Photogenic

Thanks for the reply and apologies for my slow response. I didn't receive a notification via email so was happily surprised when I opened the fing app.

The fingbox doesn't appear to be disconnecting. I can connect to it. It's just showing my aimesh node disconnecting even when I am directly connected through it. The aimesh node and router have multiple wireless SSIDs. Perhaps fingbox identifies some of these IDs as trying to connect to the main network (even though they are directly connected through ethernet or another channel). My fingbox has a dhcp asigned static IP, so there shouldn't be any IP overlaps.

I have changed the maximum network size to 256, so will monitor how that affects the fingbox. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

• MrWatt
    First Comment Photogenic

So many devices show they are being disconnected overnight. I recieve around 30-40 email alerts indicating my devices are either disconnected or in range. All overnight (AEDT). Very few such messages during the day. I don't understand what is going on. How do I troubleshoot this?

• MrWatt
    First Comment Photogenic

This is the device I am running fing on. It's showing up as disconnected in fingbox, even after I run a ping, which is clearly working. Any suggestions why fingbox is misinterpreting status?

Thanks

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MrWatt
    Is the issue related to only one device or multiple? What kind of devices are they in case of multiple devices? Is any device a camera or IOT device? Have you checked network size on Fing app?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MrWatt
    First Comment Photogenic

This was my smartphone. I had another similar situation with a raspberry pi device. It is showing that it is disconnected by when I ping it is obviously connected. See attached.

This is very confusing.

Network size is 24/ 256 devices.