False Vendors - Fake Apple Devices

CharlesInChargeCharlesInCharge Member Posts: 5
Photogenic First Comment
edited October 2020 in Fing App
I do not own a single Apple device.  I had a panic when Fing reported an Apple device had joined my network.  It turned out to be an LG phone.  Looking at my network, Fing thinks my Netgear Extender is also an Apple device.  There are others.  Why is this happening?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @CharlesInCharge , Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot?  Especially curious about the MAC address its associating with this.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @CharlesInCharge

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.  

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.  

I would advise using a manual recognition where you can select the correct device type and O.S and save the device. This inserting of as many details that you can about the device will help to improve the recognition engine for all Fing users.  

This will assist with improved device identification in the future.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • CharlesInChargeCharlesInCharge Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment

Photogenic First Comment
    I have had Fing since the original Indiegogo campaign.  But, this inaccuracy concerns me and makes me question Fing's data.  I have been debating switching to Firewalla to see if that is more accurate.
    Photogenic First Comment
    Can this be fixed?
    admin
    Can this be fixed?
    If you see the first 6 digits of MAC address is same. It seems like either there is an apple device running IOS14 or some other software like VMWARE, Bitdefender or Norton running which MAC randomization enabled as the MAC address are virtual MAC address and does not respond to any vendor. Can you try to delete all devices and then disable Wifi on your devices and then enable wifi one by one and then scan the network each time you enable the Wifi to your device to see which device is producing virtual MAC addresses.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 2020
    I am using both Norton and Bitdefender on my products.  This explains having multiple listings.  But, if I disable the virus protections, do a scan and then turn them back on, the fake Mac addresses will still be recorded - correct?
    admin
    I am using both Norton and Bitdefender on my products.  This explains having multiple listings.  But, if I disable the virus protections, do a scan and then turn them back on, the fake Mac addresses will still be recorded - correct?
    Yes, unless you delete all devices list and then disable your Norton and Bitdefender and then scan you network and you will see correct results.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)