Fing becomes part of the Lansweeper family

Ciaran
Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
admin
We’re excited to announce that Fing has been acquired by Lansweeper, a global software company that provides a best in class IT Asset Management Solution. This is an important milestone for Fing as we will not only continue to grow our technology but, moving forward, we will expand our business with the support of an accomplished team that is running a fast-growing and profitable business.

Patrizia Cozzoli, our CEO, states: “By joining forces with Lansweeper, we significantly expand both our market reach and our development capabilities, with the addition of the overall Enterprise IT and OT devices. We’re delighted to partner with an organization that has a clear and aligned vision for the future of IT Asset Management and a team that understands the great value Fing brings to this challenge.”

We have a great opportunity to continue supporting our B2B and B2C products and to rely on a much broader platform to expand our offering, so stay tuned for more information!

Learn more here: https://bit.ly/2H7tKdx.
Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

Robin_from_FingCiaranVABelleMarc

Comments

• One
    One Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Why did you remove all features we got for years?

How can I send back my fingbox and get refunded?
    magptmArk_dUncAn
  • Ciaran
    admin
    HI @One, thank you for your comment. No functionality was removed, what functionality are you referring to and perhaps I can then assist you further. Alternatively, please review the Knowledge Base in relation to Fingbox functionality which may be of use https://help.fing.com/article-categories/fingbox/.
    Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• Ajax
    Ajax Member Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    One said:
    Why did you remove all features we got for years?

How can I send back my fingbox and get refunded?
    @One Are you getting the Fing app and the Fingbox confused? You do get additional functionality with the Fingbox (albeit it does appear to be reduced service) then you do with the free Fing app.
    I must admit however, I too am a bit skeptical about the aquisition and the future of Fingbox. I fear its not a good fit for the users.
    magpt
  • fingo
    fingo Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Fing is not what it used to be. Those of us who supported it initially on Indiegogo and made the product and business possible should be grandfathered in all the premium features that used to work and are now removed. Disappointing behavior.
    magpt
  • Ciaran
    admin
    Thank you for your input @Ajax, the Fing/Lansweeper acquisition is very positive step for the whole Fing Community as it helps to solidify Fing and give more stability moving into the future including additional functionality & features. To note: Fing Premium was launched in June of this year (long before the Lansweeper acquisition). Whilst initially, the main features were more beneficial to Fing App & Fing Desktop users, we were always committed to adding additional features that may benefit Fingbox users also. Going forward, that is still the plan. 
    @fingo, thank you also for your feedback and indeed for your support. You mention, however, 'Premium features that used to work but are now removed', can you confirm what functionality you are referring to? All Fingbox functionalities remain, e.g. Vulnerability tools, Digital Presence, Blocking. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• ccdi
    ccdi Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    Yeah, I too noticed the difference and am not pleased with the change.  We support you for the development of the Fingbox and were promised premium service.  Now the service is degraded and the app has been made less useful after the update.  I may end up tossing the Fingbox if all it is doing is spying on my internal network for some big company to bolster their data collection.
    fingomagpt
  • fingo
    fingo Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    > the Fing/Lansweeper acquisition is very positive step for the whole Fing Community 
    They ALL say this and there are tons of examples where it never works out for the community/consumer.
    magptUnknown
  • Ajax
    ✭✭✭

"the Fing/Lansweeper acquisition is very positive step for the whole Fing Community "

In the words of Queen Gurtrude from Hamlet "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

The more you say that something is positive the less I'm convinced. I guess time will tell.

• Ciaran
    admin
    Again, @ccdi & @fingo, if you notice any functionality not working, that previously did, please let us know and we will be happy to help further. Thank you
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• Ciaran
    admin
    Nice quote @Ajax. Besides the initial post, not sure I have mentioned that previously, merely responding to a comment/concern, made by indeed yourself :) However, in one respect I agree, actions speak louder than words, our product and engineering team have & continue to be busy working on additional features for Fing Premium, as mentioned to benefit all users (including Fingbox users). Watch this space moving forward and I will let you decide :)  Thanks again

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• ccdi
    One thing I've noticed is that the Fing app does not show the whole MAC ID anymore.
  • Ajax
    ✭✭✭

You're right. I guess my reference was more targeted at Fing and those involved in the acquisition as opposed to you as an individual replying to this post. I see lots of activity on LinkedIn which includes posts by Fing, Dave Goossens (CEO of Lansweeper), Lansweeper and Arthur Cox (the acquisition partner) to name a few. It seems the more we tell people how positive it is the more they'll believe it. As you say, actions are the important factor.

Ciaranmagpt
  • Ajax
    ✭✭✭

• magpt
    magpt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary

Agree. Where is the basic notification when someone joins your network? What is the actual benefit of having the Fingbox? Where can we find a table comparing what users have in different tiers? Very disappointing attitude. Not sure if will support any startup project in the future.

• magpt

Where is the email notification of user joining the network?

• magpt
    edited November 2, 2020 #17

What do Fingbox users really get today?

• Ciaran
    admin
    edited November 3, 2020 #18
    magpt said:

Agree. Where is the basic notification when someone joins your network? What is the actual benefit of having the Fingbox? Where can we find a table comparing what users have in different tiers? Very disappointing attitude. Not sure if will support any startup project in the future.

Hi @magpt, we did experience an issue with email alerts over the weekend. Alerts were disabled, however see the following link/post for more information on the issue and how to rectify it from your in app settings https://community.fing.com/discussion/5606/email-alert-update-not-receiving-email-for-any-alerts
    Regarding the support, as soon as we were aware of the issue, we took action to rectify it and posted an update on the Fing Community. Apologies for any inconvenience.
    Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• Ciaran
    admin
    magpt said:

What do Fingbox users really get today?

@magpt, to answer your question, you get all of the same Fingbox functionalities as you have always had, e.g. device blocking/pause, digital presence, digital fence, vulnerability tool etc. In fact, since the Fingbox launch we have added extra functionalities such as the 'Auto Block' functionality. I hope this clarifies, but if you are still unsure, dont hesitate to ask. thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

magpt
  • Ciaran
    admin
    ccdi said:
    One thing I've noticed is that the Fing app does not show the whole MAC ID anymore.
    @ccdi the Fing App will show the full MAC address. However, you can choose what detail you would like to see the device list displayed as: Standard, Simplified or Technical (see image below that may be of assistance). You will see these options at the bottom of the device list display. For more information, please visit: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/how-use-fing-app/

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• Tspixn658
    Tspixn658 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    How does this impact or benefit consumer users? Lansweeper produces Enterprise level solutions. Their market is not consumer or even SMB level users. I am very skeptical of Fing for consumers being treated as a "first class citizen" in the future. I cannot help but feel like Fing's feature set will be absorbed into Lansweeper and consumer offerings will be deprecated. Fing, please feel free to provide additional insight. Is there a roadmap for upcoming features for non-enterprise/non-business users?
  • ccdi
    @Ciaran I configured as you suggested above but MAC IDs still have six XXs  ....XX:XX:XX.
    Only the factory portion of the MAC ID shows.  This didn't used to be the case, the Fing app would show the complete MAC IDs.
  • benhelps
    benhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Tspixn658 said:
    How does this impact or benefit consumer users? Lansweeper produces Enterprise level solutions. Their market is not consumer or even SMB level users. I am very skeptical of Fing for consumers being treated as a "first class citizen" in the future. I cannot help but feel like Fing's feature set will be absorbed into Lansweeper and consumer offerings will be deprecated. Fing, please feel free to provide additional insight. Is there a roadmap for upcoming features for non-enterprise/non-business users?
    I would hope and pray that if it goes in this direction users will be handed the device login "keys" so we can continue to use the device (preferably without needing to reverse engineer/brute force a solution ourselves.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    ccdi said:
    @Ciaran I configured as you suggested above but MAC IDs still have six XXs  ....XX:XX:XX.
    Only the factory portion of the MAC ID shows.  This didn't used to be the case, the Fing app would show the complete MAC IDs.

From Home tab, click on Avatar icon and then open Account settings. You will find "Mask MAC address" option enabled. Disable it and you will see your MAC address.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

Did fing just remove monthly Internet performance report for fingbox user and need to subscribe premium to receive that? Because this month I didn't receive that report

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited November 4, 2020 #26
    Unknown said:

Did fing just remove monthly Internet performance report for fingbox user and need to subscribe premium to receive that? Because this month I didn't receive that report

We did experience an issue last weekend whereby e-mail alerts were not sending, please refer to this link: https://community.fing.com/discussion/5404/e-mail-update-revamp/p1

We are still sending Monthly Internet Performance Reports. To manually send a performance report, go to the 'Internet' tab on your Fingbox Dashboard, scroll down to 'Aeverage Performance of last week' section and choose 'Report'. I hope this helps
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Unknown
  • One
    Robin, what are your plans for existing customers prior to your buyout? As you can see all tis category of users is pretty upset, should not we keep the original features we had for free? From a client perspective we feel betrayed.
    Or can you refund us the product (and services attached) we paid for originally without having to pay 84£ per year for a product we paid 99£...? Personally I cannot afford to pay the fee.

Also key thing, is the function to block new devices logging on WiFi network still active, as it does not seem to work anymore.

Thanks for your answers?

• Ciaran
    admin
    One said:
    Robin, what are your plans for existing customers prior to your buyout? As you can see all tis category of users is pretty upset, should not we keep the original features we had for free? From a client perspective we feel betrayed.
    Or can you refund us the product (and services attached) we paid for originally without having to pay 84£ per year for a product we paid 99£...? Personally I cannot afford to pay the fee.

Also key thing, is the function to block new devices logging on WiFi network still active, as it does not seem to work anymore.

Thanks for your answers?

Please refer to my previous reply to you:
    HI @One, thank you for your comment. No functionality was removed, what functionality are you referring to and perhaps I can then assist you further. Alternatively, please review the Knowledge Base in relation to Fingbox functionality which may be of use https://help.fing.com/article-categories/fingbox/.
    All Fingbox tools are still available and will remain that way. You do not have to subscribe to Fing Premium or spend any more money to use your existing Fingbox tools. I hope this clarifies this for you.

I believe you are referring to the 'Auto Block'  tool, which I can confirm, is still available. To implement the auto block tool, on your Fingbox Dashboard:
    1. Go to the 'Network' tab
    2. Scroll down to 'Auto block new devices'
    3. Click on it and then enable the auto block functionality
    Regarding acquisition itself and impact, please review previous responses on this thread. 
    thank you
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• One
    Thank you Robin,  great news, I must have been confused if « old » buyers retain all functions this is great!
  • ccdi
    @Robin Thanks, I was able to finally get full MAC IDs to show up but I'm not exactly sure what did it.  I tried to follow your instructions and spent a great deal of time going through virtually all settings in all parts of the Fing app on my iPhone.  I could not find the Settings menu you referred to... in the Fing App.  Finally I went into the App Settings on the iPhone where I found a similar menu, not exactly like the menu you presented above.  My menu had four items:
    Recognize Devices
    Reverse DNS Lookup
    Maximum network size
    Privacy mode
    There were no other settings, including the Mask MAC Addresses switch.
    However after playing around with those buttons, when I went back into Fing the full MAC IDs finally did show up.  I don't know what I did but thanks I guess, the full MAC IDs are now showing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

@Robin thank you for your reply.