The future of Fing and Fingbox?

WeeHappyPixieWeeHappyPixie Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
Hi,

What will the takeover of Fing by Lansweeper do to your loyal Fingbox users. Are you going to start charging us to use our Fingbox?

Lansweeper is a great product but it is very expensive for what it is (I have been a business customer for years) and they keep removing options each year from my site licence in order to force me to upgrade to there new licence model where you need to pay for each device.

https://www.lansweeper.com/press/lansweeper-announces-acquisition-of-fing-device-recognition-technology/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=lansweeper-announces-acquisition-of-fing-device-recognition-technology

If Fing start charging to use the Fingbox then I am going to leave it. 

John

Best Answer

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,369
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Did a little more digging.  See this link from Fing..  https://www.fing.com/news/fing-becomes-part-of-a-bigger-family

Relevant point at least for immediate future plans for Fing...  (Emphasis is mine)

Moreover, this change will allow Fing to grow beyond expectations, both in the Device Recognition technology and with its consumer products, Fing App, Fing Desktop and Fingbox.  

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin

Answers

• direwulfdirewulf Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited October 2020
    There was a lot of talk of enterprise, but I see nothing about us little folk in the announcement...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Although anything is possible after an acquisition, at this point no use in guessing till Fing comes out with a statement.  I see 2 outcomes possible..  
    • Fing and Fingbox is more in the consumer space and is hence a new area for Lansweeper to work in.  
    • Lansweeper purchased Fing for its IP, in which case Fingbox and the app will be evaluated based on sustained profitability and a decision is made based on that analysis as to whether they keep going or fold it.
    More to come I suppose...
  • WeeHappyPixieWeeHappyPixie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply. I know that Fing and especially Fingbox are consumer based and even backed them during the Indigogo campaign. Personally I have 5 fingboxes monitoring not only my own network but family and friends too.

Since a lot of the information gathered by Fing is provided by us consumers including additional device metadata it would be a shame to see Fingbox dropped or charges introduced concerning we paid for boxes and supply metadata which can be used to increase the detection rate.

I understand they need to keep the lights on and pay bills. Anyway, enough of my ranting 😊. Let's hope they make Fing and Fingbox better in the future. Lansweeper is a good product and again I've had a business premium license since it was launched. It's just each year I lose some options unless I upgrade to a much higher license to get the same functionality I had the year before yet the maintenance each year rises..

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

John.

Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I work we have whole departments whose sole task in life is to (re)negotiate vendor contracts. I definitely feel your feature pain...
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,213
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!