My TAPO P100 Smart Sockets keep disconnecting on my AIMesh network with my Fingbox connected

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my WiFi network to an AIMesh system.  I am pleased with it but have had problems with both my Wemo and TAPO WiFi sockets disconnecting. I can either switch off/on the WiFi socket or reboot the AIMesh and get them to reconnect, but after a few hours (12?) some disconnect again. The disconnections seem to be fairly random although some sockets are more prone than others.

What I have found is that removing my Fingbox from my network has fixed the problem all the switches remain reliably connected for days. 

The Fingbox is normally connected to the first Mesh node in the system.  (I have tried a number of things including separating the 2.4 and 5G, blacklisting the IOT Sockets so they don't get steered around. They helped but the removal of the Fingbox and then adding it back again quickly caused the disconnection problems)

Has anybody else seen this behaviour or any insights.  My guess it is to do with way the Fingbox

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,638
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Treemower, there is a switch you can activate via the Fing mobile app that will slow down how aggressively Fings searches your network.  In a few cases, this has helped folks with devices disconnecting.  Select your Fingbox network when in the app, then the gear icon from the top right menu.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • TreemowerTreemower Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

Hi Marc,

Thanks, I had already set that earlier on before switching to a mesh network

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,638
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is vexing and anecdotally, seems to happen more on some brands of network equipment than others.  

Anyhow, since this does not occur when the Fingbox is powered down, I guess we can assume its Fingbox related so let's bring in some Fing folks and see if they have any suggestions.  @Robin or @Ciaran, any suggestions on troubleshooting this?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • TreemowerTreemower Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    My theory is that it might be related to the overlapping WiFi domains. I have observed but not tested that the sockets where there is minimal overlap of the 2.4Ghz WiFi coverage tend to stay connected more reliably. I currently have 8 in the house in use.  However blacklisting Sockets so they don't get moved by the AiMesh network didn't fix the problem.  I have reduced the transmit power on the 2.4GHz band as well as my goal was to have reasonable 5GHz coverage which is less able to penetrate the brick walls in my house.  I wondered whether this is an issue related to the ability to connect to clients via multiple paths and the Fingbox using poisoning/spoofing at the same time.  One other observation is that the sockets have an all-purpose led that indicates they are not connected to the WiFi.  I think they try from time to time but fail to connect until switched on and off.