Unknown device and iPhone sync

FikusFikus Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic

Hello,

I hope this message finds you well.

From time to time I can see an unknown device on my network. It has an open port 62078.

Is that something I should be worrying about?

It seems like no matter what I do I am not able to safeguard my private information and communication from my ex.

please advise.

Have a wonderful week!

Thanks,

F.

Answers

• ChrisInAthensChrisInAthens Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    F,
    the unknown device on your network is most probably an iPhone.
    Port 62078 is used by iOS to allow syncing between devices, like the phone and iTunes on a PC, etc. You should not consider it a dangerous thing.
    What you should do though, is try to figure out what device (iPhone?) is the mysterious "unknown" device that appears "from time to time".
    Cheers, Chris
    Fikus
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    You may also need to turn off private IP addressing for your iPhone for your network.
    Here's the reference article:
    https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Fikus
  • MonnMonn Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited October 2020

Help! I have like 10 generic connected and i can’t access to the info, I deleted them but appear immediately again, can be hidden cameras?

• MonnMonn Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited October 2020

Help! I have like 10 generic connected and i can’t access to the info, I deleted them but appear immediately again, can be hidden cameras? 

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,092
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi,

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

Generic devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB

To note: Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

When you establish what the device is, we would encourage users to insert as many details that you can about the device. This will assist with improved user device identification in the future and help improve the engine for all Fing users.

Thanks

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!