Majority of my devices reverted to needing confirmation

AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 28
10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭
Out of the blue I've had 34 out of 54 devices on my network suddenly revert to needing confirmation that it is mine (yellow question mark icon in device list).

Any idea what would've suddenly triggered all of these to flip status?

There's no correlation on types of devices, which part of my WiFi mesh they are connected to, etc.

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,803
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10
    Hi @AnthonyB, were all of the other custom information you previously entered intact?  Was it just the re-confirmation that was at issue?  Did this occur after an application upgrade?  Is there anything else you can think of that might have occurred, even outside of the app perhaps with your network or the machine hosting the application, that might have changed?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 28
    ✭✭
    All other custom info was retained, it was only the re-confirmation.
    I'm on Fing Desktop 2.2.1 and had been on it since the update was first pushed out.
    A few days earlier I had updated my locally installed copy of nmap (https://nmap.org/) from 7.80 to 7.90 which includes the npcap (https://seclists.org/nmap-announce/2020/0) so a change in filter driver is an obvious contender. If so, why would this cause Fing to revert 75% of my devices to unknown?
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,803
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11

Thanks for the info. I’m tagging some of the Fing folks to see if they have an idea. I’m wondering about the npcap piece too but have no idea why that would trigger the recertification. @Ciaran or @Robin , have you seen this bahavior before or can you shed some light on what makes the desktop require a recertification?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    MarcAnthonyB
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    It could be due to new Fing desktop version but I am not sure. @AnthonyB Can you verify all devices and then check if there are needed to be verified again?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 28
    ✭✭
    edited 12:25AM
    So, this has just re-occurred.

I was already running Fing Desktop 2.3.1 for over a week (since 19th Nov) and the Fing Android App v10.0.1 from whenever that version was pushed.
    Like last time, probably over half the devices on my network reverted and have required me to go through them all to "Confirm it's yours". To make this doubly annoying, because there is no account sync between Desktop and mobile versions, I have to do this twice; once in Desktop version and then again in the Android app version.

Do we have any ideas why this would occur?