Unidentified device on network

MikeSmithMikeSmith Devon, UKMember Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
Hi everyone,
I'm new to all this and I have one device on my network that I can't identify. Can anybody help? Screenshot below. Thanks. :) 

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,451
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few ways to resolve these.  One way I find often works is to go to your web browser and do an HTTP://192.168.239 and see what responds.  If its an appliance often times you will get its management web page which could tell you what it is.

Another way is to do a vendor search , and that vendor probably is a manufacturer of the wireless radio used in one of your devices, so that probably will not help..

Last way is to look for your known devices Fing did not identify, and turn them off one at a time.  While the device is off, use Fing to ping it.  Once you have a unit off and via ping it no longer responds, you have found your device.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    MikeSmith
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith Devon, UKMember Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Marc,
    Thanks for the info. I don't get a management page by going to the IP and the vendor comes up as "Shanghai Simcom". I've no idea what they make and a search doesn't bring much up for me. I have a lot of devices in my house so trying to find them all and turn them off is going to be a challenge! (my bad, I know) I did have an idea that it might be the wireless connection of something that is already attached by a cable. I'm going to upgrade my router soon so hopefully I will identify all the devices as they re-attach to the network. Thanks for the help.
    Mike
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,451
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    2 places to try first...  Any android phones/tablets you might have, then try cameras.  They seem to be big on supplying radios in these spaces.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    MikeSmith
  • StaticStatic Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    Just a thought, older Android version are common on media streaming devices (Android BOX, Set Top Box etc.)
    MikeSmith
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith Devon, UKMember Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    I think I've worked out what it is (in a flash of inspiration). It was almost literally staring me in the face / just under my nose!
    It looks like it's my TicWatch Pro running Wear OS. I'm going to try turning WiFi on and off a few more times to verify it but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
    Thanks for all your help everybody :)
    Marc
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turn on "auto block new devices", delete the device, and wait for it to get re-discovered.  Then see who asks for internet access.  :-)
    MikeSmith