How do I speed up Fingbox LAN connection from 100 MBit to 1 Gbit?

Hello everyone, I'm probably not the only one with the problem that the fingbox only connects to the LAN with 100 Mbit. I have a Telekom Speedport Smart 3 router with GBit LAN ports. I connected the fingbox directly to the router using the original Fing-LAN cable. Unfortunately, the fingbox is always recognized with only 100 Mbit. Replacing the LAN cable, which had 1 GBit connected to a PC, did not bring any improvement. Does anyone else have an idea?
Tagged:

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,376
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MichaelH, the cable you swapped in, was it a cat 6E?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both CAT5e and CAT6 can handle speeds of up to 1000 Mbps, or a Gigabit per second. This is more than sufficient for the speed of by far the most internet connections. The chance is small that you currently have an internet connection with which you can achieve up to 500 Mbps speed.

The main difference between CAT5e and CAT6 cable lies within the bandwidth, the cable can support for data transfer. CAT6 cables are designed for operating frequencies up to 250 MHz, compared to 100 Mhz for CAT5e. This means that a CAT6 cable can process more data at the same time. Think of it as the difference between a 2- and a 4-lane highway. On both you can drive the same speed, but a 4-lane highway can handle much more traffic at the same time.

Source:
    https://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/page/43869/Resources/Technical-Resources/Black-Box-Explains/Copper-Cable/Category-5e-And-6
  • SlivermeSliverme Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I've had my fing box for a few years now and it always identified as 1gb. After an update of the fing box firmware it reports only 100mb. I've changed ports on my router, replaced the CAT6 cable and yet it still says it's 100mb. I run a speed test and come back with the 200mb down I pay for. I finally gave up and figure they'll eventually find an error in the code, do an update and all will be well again. Reading this forum I see many of us have this issue so you're not alone.

jl9za
  • jl9zajl9za Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have the same problem, whatever I do, my fing now reports it only connects at 100mbps. It has also started alerting that it has lost internet connection from time to time, when there is no problem with the internet connection at all. It is getting so irritating I might just drop it.
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I also have the same issue as jl9za. my fingbox is on 1.15.1 and reports it only connects at 100mbps. It has also started alerting that it has lost internet connection multiple times throughout the day, when there is no problem with the internet connection at all. It is getting so irritating.
    jl9za
  • SRPSRP LAMember Posts: 113
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    I also have the same issue as jl9za. my fingbox is on 1.15.1 and reports it only connects at 100mbps. It has also started alerting that it has lost internet connection multiple times throughout the day, when there is no problem with the internet connection at all. It is getting so irritating.
    A couple of weeks ago I replaced my original Fingbox CAT 6 cable with a CAT 8 upgrade. Weirdly I didn’t notice anything was up until I saw my monthly internet speed test report from Fing today and noticed that the speed measured had dropped dramatically since the cable swap. Switching back to the original Fingbox CAT 6 cable and AB testing speed tests showed this remedied the situation. Since CAT 8 is supposed to be backwards compatible with all prior standards and is performing excellently elsewhere around my network I wonder what the Fingbox is doing that other devices aren’t or if there’s anything unusual about the cable provided by FIng? I don’t have any spare alternative CAT 6 cable to test.
  • SRPSRP LAMember Posts: 113
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 30
    SRP said:
    A couple of weeks ago I replaced my original Fingbox CAT 6 cable with a CAT 8 upgrade. Weirdly I didn’t notice anything was up until I saw my monthly internet speed test report from Fing today and noticed that the speed measured had dropped dramatically since the cable swap. Switching back to the original Fingbox CAT 6 cable and AB testing speed tests showed this remedied the situation. Since CAT 8 is supposed to be backwards compatible with all prior standards and is performing excellently elsewhere around my network I wonder what the Fingbox is doing that other devices aren’t or if there’s anything unusual about the cable provided by FIng? I don’t have any spare alternative CAT 6 cable to test.

A further update. My Fingbox just dropped to 100Mb/s connection again randomly on the original CAT 6 cable. After some fiddling it turned out the use of the spare USB A slot on the FB to power a monitor-io was causing the drop (I figured hey it's a free slot). Once the monitor-io was removed both the CAT6 and CAT8 cables delivered 1 Gb/s connection and associated non clamped speed tests consistently.

The takeaway is that use of the 'spare' USB A slot on the Fingbox appears to impact peak Fingbox connectivity speed,

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve