E-mail Update - revamp

Comments

• stephanstephan Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    This move of features that was previously free and included in the purchase of the Fing box hardware into a paid service is NOT OK! You are abusing your customer base. Users will not accept this is the long run. I regret buying this device.
    matthewathomJDubbedN
  • AmolakhAmolakh Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

Hi Robin I am facing the same issue and yes automated test are running but I have stopped getting the report from sept 2020 I have already added another email address.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,389
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Amolakh
    Please refer to this link as it will provide you with more information and I am merging this ticket with the same link as well to keep all records in one place. Thanks
    Link: https://community.fing.com/discussion/5404/e-mail-update-revamp
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • idea2goidea2go Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin is there any chance there will be an option to have the detailed information back in time for the October report at the end of this month?   See https://community.fing.com/discussion/372/excellent-monthly-report-format-from-fing
  • idea2goidea2go Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    It's a one-two punch on Fing's usefulness.   (1) Apple added privacy features that make device identification and tracking mostly unusable, and (2) Fing removed the itemized performance report from their monthly email and won't even say whether the feature is coming back before Nov 1st or ever.     :(

Over time I've purchased 5 fingboxes for different networks I help out with, but there's very little reason left for me to continue buying new ones.  If I have a specific need like a new installation I'll just grab it from one of the existing sites now.
  • DalekDalek Member Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

The latest monthly Internet Performance Report is a summary only. It does not include any data of individual M-Lab Internet Speed Tests. This data was included in previous Reports. Where is this data and why is it now excluded from the monthly report?

• AlanAireyAlanAirey Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

I had some internet issues last month and wanted to compare them with recent speed tests. I've gone into the history on my fingbox and was faced with a 'Go Premium' to see my own (now locked) speed history? What other features of this product are going to be paywalled? This is a disappointing discovery and is there a way to retrieve my network data without paying a monthly fee on top of my £99 for the box?

JDubbedN
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,453
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AlanAirey, if you're using the mobile app in conjunction with a Fingbox, you still should have the same capabilities as you had previously.  Fing has not removed any of the mobile with fingbox features.  Did you confirm you are logged in with the same account as you do with the Fingbox?  @Ciaran or @Robin , any ideas on what is being seen?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭✭

My September monthly internet performance report was a summary only with no daily individual speed test data included. Previous monthly reports include daily individual speed test data.

Hoe can I have the daily individual speed test data included in future monthly Internet performance reports?

• JDubbedNJDubbedN Member, Beta Tester Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭

Viewing device events use to be part of the purchase price of a Fing box. As well as was free for non Fing box owners. I could see many events of a device over a period of months and years since it was first detected by Fing. Now, if I want to see more than 2 events I am blocked by a pay wall. That is a really low blow move of you guys at Fing to do this to your customers. It makes me wonder what other features used to come with a Fing box and has now been blocked with a pay wall. It's one thing to introduce new features and require a subscription, but it's another to strip down a feature that has been part of the Fing app for years and place a pay wall to use it without limitation. I am disgusted by this.

I believe more features should come with owning a Fing Box over just using the app. That makes more sense. And then tag on a premium charge for premium features that didn't previously exist. You can't just take away a feature of a software that has been free for years and then make it cost money. That's lazy, is a terrible business practice and is how you lose trust. If your company is starved for repeat business you need to be creative and provide new features and then charge a premium for those new features.

Fing has turned into a freemium type/subscription business model with the added twist of at will limits placed on features that have been free for years. There is no telling what other features that have been part of the mobile app for years will be limited by a paywall. Can you imagine having to pay a subscription just to run a speed test or to customize devices like renaming them or changing their icon? I wouldn't be surprised if that happened since that is what Fing is now doing. I don't support companies that strip away features of a software that have been fully functional and part of the software for years and then slaps a subscription service on it to unlock limitations. No one should support that.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @JDubbedN, Fing has NOT removed any of the mobile app features that were previously available when paired with a Fingbox.  They have mentioned this numerous times in the forums and I can verify that I can see events on all devices on my Fing mobile app monitoring a Fingbox.  The paywall at this time only applies to non-Fingbox users and the Desktop users. See this thread for a response from Fing...

Ciaran Administrator Posts: 884
    October 29 Accepted Answer
    Thank you for your question.
    To answer your question, the point of your Fingbox will remain the same as previously when you purchased it. All current Fingbox functionality will still work on Fingbox and there is no subscription for these features. 
    Could you screenshot the feature(s) screen you are seeing as not available so Fing can help you troubleshoot them?
    ✭✭
    edited November 2020

@Marc

Please see requested screen shot. This states that Fing is holding hostage 26 state change events unless I purchase a premium subscription. My Wyze cam at my front door has been on my network for years and Fing has shown it's state event changes before until the recent Fing app update which included the premium subscription business model. Now all my events for my Wyze camera have been removed and require a premium subscription to unlock them. So unless this is a bug, Fing stripped this feature down and requires payment to release this information that has always been available until recent.

✭✭
    edited November 2020

Here are more screen shots. I do find it odd that it shows several event changes on my NUC server but still holds hostage older events unless paid for. I used to be able to see all events since the device was first discovered.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the screenshots @JDubbedN...  Let’s see if the Fing folks can figure out what is going on.  @Robin, can you advise please?
  • CEllisonCEllison Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    They started doing that last month and I complained.  I didn’t get an answer.
    I’m very disappointed.  I am an early purchaser of the Fing Box and the detailed performance reports are important to me.
    Their lack of tech support and dependence on “community forums” is also troubling.
    Is this why we’re supposed to be excited about their recent acquisition?
    Dalek
    ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I too am an early Fingbox purchaser/owner and rely on the detailed data that was in the monthly Internet Performance Report.

My October report is again only a summary.

I expect nothing less than an answer from Fing as to why the report format has changed and how the detailed data can be brought back to the report.

Comments from the “community” although helpful, are just that - comments. They don’t answer the question.

Hello Arianna, are you listening to your customers?

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,389
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All,
    please check this link which may be useful to you: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/21877#Comment_21877
    Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭
    edited November 2020

@Marc Alright let's see what explanation Fing devs provide. If state change event history was never supposed to be a premium feature and was to stay free part of owning a Fing Box then I am baffled why the message even exists in the app. The text "There are 5 state change events that are not displayed. Go premium to unlock the complete state change event history" is in the code now which means the Fing dev's added the code in preparation for charging for unlocking state change history. Unless this is a limitation for NON Fing Box owners and somehow the code and limitations were accidentally spilled over to actual Fing Box owners. But since the code is there Fing purposely made the preparations and changes to limit a feature that has always been free which goes against their statement that they wouldn't be removing/limiting features that have always been there. This to me means they have been caught in a lie and are contradicting themselves. But again I await for an explanation. Meanwhile the state event history is broken and is not useable. Here are 3 more screenshots that show being blocked by pay walls just to view state event history. All my devices are affected and require a payment in order to see more than a couple months out. Bug or intended? If bug then it would be nice to have an official statement from Fing to provide peace of mind. If intended then they are contradiction themselves and have been caught in a lie. On top of that it shows they are stripping features that have been part of Fing for years and we're promised as base features to Fing Box owners and would be considered a bait and switch tactic that is illegal in the USA.

✭✭✭

Robin, your email response provided this link and suggested it would answer my question:

“Hi All, please check this link which may be useful to you

https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/21877#Comment_21877

thanks”

Unfortunately the link only goes back to this discussion, which is next to useless.

Please provide a meaningful response to the many Fingbox owners who want the data returned to their monthly Internet Performance Report.

• NSBNSB Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have the same issue.  I used to get the monthly performance report via email with the details of each speed test.  Now only get a summary which is not useful for analysis using excel.  Is this data not going to be provided any more?

✭✭

After reading this discussion so far I have seen 3 features reported that used to be part of Fing Box that has now been stripped and blocked by a paywall.

1. State change event histories now only reports a couple months out and then requires a premium subscription to view further back. Used to be full history.

2. Speed test histories also require premium sub.

3. The monthly report has been "improved" by removing useful information like day to day outages and detailed reports.

I am starting to see a pattern here. Features that have always been available to Fing Box users are now being stripped down and blocked with a paywall in order to get back all their functions. Sounds like something fishy is going on. Either someone really fouled up and code needs fixing or we as customers are getting side swiped. Admins keep saying that the fing app will keep its original features. Yet all I see are features being stripped and paywalls everywhere.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Also see this link for changes in how emails are formatted, etc...  https://community.fing.com/discussion/5404/e-mail-update-revamp/p1?new=1
    ✭✭✭

Marc,

My question was not about formatting email addresses, it was about missing data in the monthly Internet Performance Report.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The point in my link i was hoping to highlight was... (Emphasis mine)

Can I access a daily breakdown of internet performance?
    If you are Fing Premium subscriber, you will receive a day-by-day account of your network performance & speed tests. Alternatively, users can check the ‘History’ section on the ‘Internet’ tab of the Fingbox dashboard, to view historic performance statistics.

✭✭✭

Marc,

GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE!

I’M NOT ABOUT TO PAY AGAIN FOR FEATURES THAT I ALREADY PAID FOR WHEN I BOUGHT MY FINGBOX.

Fing needs to bring back the features that were stripped out when they made their “improvements”. What they have succeeded in doing is to reduce the whole Fing hardware and software experience to the point of irrelevance.

Can you say “Paperweight”?

JDubbedN
    ✭✭✭

“Alternatively, users can check the ‘History’ section on the ‘Internet’ tab of the Fingbox dashboard, to view historic performance statistics.”

Marc,

Neither of these “alternate” methods work for me.

There is no “Internet” tab on my dashboard when I’m logged in to my account using Safari on my iPhone.

There is no “History” section on the “Internet” tab of my network when using the Fing app on my iPhone.

✭✭✭

@Ciaran @Robin

I purchased my Fingbox in 2017. It has been working in conjunction with the Fing software and app on my phones, iPad, and desktop PC since then, but now is hobbled by the latest Fing “improvements”. Fing has removed features that registered hardware owners like me had access to. You need to restore access to these features. If you don’t or won’t, then you will alienate your customers and we will abandon Fing.

The ball is clearly in your court. What you do with it will determine what I for one will do with my Fingbox.

JDubbedN
    ✭✭

Moderators, admins, developers and the like all know what they have done. They've taken away/stripped down features, calling it "improvements" and then putting up a pay wall to restore those features. Mean while they are playing dumb hoping that saying things like "don't worry we aren't taking away any features everything is the same" and we'll just roll over and accept it or not notice the changes. We as customers are asking simple questions and the answers we get back are dodgy, inconsistent with links to other discussions that repeat the same thing over and over again or even direct messages that are designed to be kept off the discussion page. We have proof. We have submitted screen shots of features being removed yet you guys deny it playing dumb and saying the same thing like a broken record player. I feel like I am talking to a bunch of kids that have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Please don't insult our intelligence. We know what your company is doing and we know why no one from upper level will answer our questions with straight forward answers. Because you guys are stripping down features and creating paywall's for features that have always been there for free as part of owning a Fing Box and there would be so much back lash if you guys came out and admitted it.

So I have attached all the proof again still waiting for a response knowing I'll probably get a cut and pasted answer like everyone else is getting. Prove me wrong.

• magptmagpt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Report looks fine. Received without issues. Maybe would keep it simple without the image, takes a big chunk of the email and does not provide any added value.
    Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin

Hi all, 

There have been a number of topics/points raised, I will do my utmost to address each one below (for simplicity of reading, hopefully, I have categorized the sections and put the headings in bold):

Fingbox Functionality/Tools:  To confirm, as previously mentioned, if you have a Fingbox, all Fingbox functionality/tools continues to work as previous without subscribing to Fing Premium, e.g. Device block/pause, Digital Fence, Digital Presence, Vulnerability tool etc. for a full list, please visit https://help.fing.com/article-categories/fingbox/)

Fingbox Alerts:  Regarding users not receiving alerts, there was an issue last week whereby the alerts were disabled (this was nothing to do with Fing Premium or access). To re-instate your alerts, please

To restore alerts, you must edit the mail notifications and put it to “A summary email with multiple events”, or any other option they prefer (to access this on the Mobile App, simply go to the ‘Account’ Tab and choose ‘Notifications settings’. 

For more details on the alerts issue, please visit: https://community.fing.com/discussion/5607/alerts-update-not-receiving-email-for-any-alerts

Internet Performance Report & Timeline Reporting:  Regarding the Internet Performance Report & Timeline Reporting: the Internet Performance Report is a feature that we have added as an additional feature over recent years. We have continued to expand on this report offering more & more detail & insights. We will continue to send the Internet Performance Report to all non Fing Premium Subscribers, however, it will be in the format described in the initial post of this thread. If you are a Fing Premium subscriber, you will receive a more detailed Internet Performance Report. Similarly with timeline reporting (e.g. Performance & Speedtest), Fing Premium subscribers will be able to view their full reporting history, if you are a non Fing Premium Subscriber, you will be able to view reports up to the last 7 days.

As previously mentioned, we do appreciate that currently the Fing Premium offering may be off limited benefit to some Fingbox users (one of the major benefits being the local API), hence we are focused on working on and adding additional Premium features that will benefit Fingbox users (as well as Mobile App & Fing Desktop users).

I hope this helps to clarify. Apologies for any confusion & thank you for the feedback to date.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)