can there be three icons for one device?

Letsgo_123
Letsgo_123 Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
edited September 30, 2020 in Fing App #1

initially the icon for my internet server was a gateway. in the past several days it has been going back and forth from Arduino to IP camera. could there be a reasonable explanation for this? or do I have a hidden camera in my home?

Answers

• Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say that the Fing software is having issues distinguishing exactly what your device is.  Unfortunately over the past several months I'm seeing things like this that's making me want to remove the Fingbox from my network and three-point-it into the trash can.
  • Letsgo_123
    First Comment Photogenic

so it ( fing) actually could confuse the router from a camara? If you are certain that this could be the case I will sit on it for a while, but you are not absolutely certain, I believe I will be calling an expert to search my home for a hidden camara. Thank you for getting back to me!!

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

so it ( fing) actually could confuse the router from a camara? If you are certain that this could be the case I will sit on it for a while, but you are not absolutely certain, I believe I will be calling an expert to search my home for a hidden camara. Thank you for getting back to me!!

Can you try to remove the device from Fing app and then run a scan again to see if the same device type appears. The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.  

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Letsgo_123
    First Comment Photogenic

Thank you for your help Robin. the device in question is the ISP...it no longer says "gateway". It now is labeled "Arduino" then sometimes it changes to "IP camera" for a couple hours. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. thank you

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin

Thank you for your help Robin. the device in question is the ISP...it no longer says "gateway". It now is labeled "Arduino" then sometimes it changes to "IP camera" for a couple hours. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. thank you

Can you try to remove the device from Fing app and then run a scan again to see if the same device type appears? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Letsgo_123
    First Comment Photogenic
    Again Robin thank you for your reply.   I did what you suggested:
    I removed the "Internet Service Provider" from fing app
    I rescanned fing app- the "Internet Service Provider"  now is now listed as  "Fingbox".....what?
    This same IP address has now been called 4 different things:  1) gateway   2) Arduino   3) IP camara and now 4) Fingbox
    (I only have the app, I do NOT HAVE AN ACTUAL FINGBOX)
    Do you know what this means?  Should I be concerned?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Letsgo_123
    Are you using an Apple device or Android device? If you have an Apple device then it could be because of private MAC address. More info can be found here: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Can you please try to delete the network sign out and then reboot device and then sign in to scan again to see if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)