How do I add a fingbox to my guest network

smotan
smotan Member Posts: 4
Name Dropper First Comment
Good Morning,

I want to protect my guest wifi network and understand that I need to add a fingbox to do so.  On my primary wifi network, I disabled reverse DNS and restricted the number of connection points to the devices scanned.  I then switched a device to my guest network, but I still could not discover the fingbox that I just added.  

Can you point me in the right direction?  I am using the Verizon Fios G3100 router.

Thank you.

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @smotan, Fingbox can only manage one network.  If you want to manage multiple networks, and this would include most guest networks, you would need to order a 2nd Fingbox and install it on that network to monitor.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • smotan

Yep, I purchased a 2nd fingbox, limited the primary fingbox to not accept additional devices, and stopped reverse DNS lookups, as described in other articles, but nothing worked. Thank you!

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I must have breezed through your original thread, apologies.

For multiple networks, you would need to switch between them from the app to see each fing boxes devices. You would not be able to see devices from both units from one view.

Once you switch to the guest network Fing, you would be able to block and manage that network separately from the other one.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    To continue on @Marc advise. To add Fingbox to guest network, make sure that the Fingbox is powered off first. 

1. Connect your device(phone or tablet) to the network that you want to add the Fingbox too 

2. Scan the network to create that network in the Fing App 

3. Make the recommended changes to the App Settings like( correct network size and disable reversen DNS)

4. Connect the Fingbox to the network that you are trying to add it to, and plug it in 

5. Once the Fingbox is powered up and it's green 

6. Try to add the Fingbox to that network. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 54
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Or, you can use the same single fingbox (as I do) for your guest network you just need to setup your guest network to use the same IP range as your main network but not allow users in the guest network to communicate with the main network devices. 
  • Badgerbalti
    Badgerbalti Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @Jack
    Can you describe how you "not allow users in the guest network to communicate with the main network devices" when they are on the same IP range..?

Thanks
  • Jack
    ✭✭✭
    @Jack
    Can you describe how you "not allow users in the guest network to communicate with the main network devices" when they are on the same IP range..?

Thanks
    I use UnIFi equipment and you can enable a guest network very easily where it creates a separate SSID for guest users with a token auth system. All users on that SSID are tagged and blocked via a firewall rule.  
  • smotan
    @robin, as an extension to Marc's guidance, I followed your instructions, but the second fingbox that I am trying to connect to my guest network is still not recognized.  Here are the steps I followed:
    1.  On my primary network, limited network connections and disabled reverse DNS.  
    2.  Reset the factory settings on the second fingbox by restarting the power while holding the reset button (ethernet cable was disconnected)
    3. Connected my iPhone to the guest network and then added the network cable to the second fingbox to the router
    I then received a message that the second fingbox connected to the primary network again.
    I appreciate your help on this one.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @smotan
    Is the first Fingbox also connected on the same router? Your 1st Fingbox also needs to be connected and then you can add 2nd Fingbox to different ethernet port. You need to make sure Guest network is enabled and is able to broadcast its SSID. If the name of the SSID is same as main network then change the SSID name. Then if possible use an android device and connect your Mobile device with Guest network first and then search for Fingbox.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • smotan

Hey Robin,

Yes, the second fingbox is connected to the same router while the first fingbox is connected, and the guest network has a separate advertised SSID.

I think the problem is that when the second fingbox is connected to the Ethernet port on the router, then it picks up an IP address associated with the primary network. When I connect my iPhone to the primary network I can see it in the fing app. When I connect my iPhone to the guest network then I cannot.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @smotan
    I have sent you a private message. Please reply to my message directly so we can solve this. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • mrjomcl
    mrjomcl Member Posts: 1

Hi @Robin

Was this ever resolved? Can you please share some guidance as I'm experiencing the same as smotan. Thanks.

• Jack
    ✭✭✭

You would need to assign the port the second Fing box uses to be on the guest network (depending on how you created the guest network will depend if/how you can do this)

Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    mrjomcl said:

Hi @Robin

Was this ever resolved? Can you please share some guidance as I'm experiencing the same as smotan. Thanks.

@Jack mentioned, you need to connect Fingbox on a different port on router and assign a static IP address from router settings from guest network. After that, you will be able to activate Fingbox on guest network.

Robin (Admin at Fing)