Change vendor

MarcoNL
MarcoNL NLMember Posts: 23
10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
edited September 22, 2020 in Fing App #1
I think there must have been some sort of database change at Fing.
I use Fingbox and recently multiple devices in my network have a new (false) Vendor, and there is no way to change that back.
My Asus laptop is now an HP desktop, as well as my AS Rock based PC and my Genexis modem now is a vague Drgos modem...
Is there a way to reset the database (without having to reset to factory default) or change the Vendor name?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MarcoNL
    Are you using any Apple device or any repeater on your network set up? Also, Can you please explain a little about your network set up and if you are using Fingbox?
    On our last release of Fing Desktop and Fing app and onwards, we have actually included New feature: Device recognition - It is now possible to manually recognize devices: when Fing recognition is not sharp enough, you can manually provide brand and model of your devices. Which will hopefully be of benefit to you. You need to click on the device and then identify them.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarcoNL
    Hey Robin, thanks for your reply.
    My network setup is pretty basic and has not changed recently.
    I have an access point (Linksys router) with the basics for WiFi, a managed Switch and a Genexis Fiber Modem. The Switch acts as a DHCP server, there is no secondary DHCP in the network.

Besides some re-cabling, nothing has changed. By the DHCP server (with fixed addresses set)  I can tell the MAC-addresses of my laptop, router and PC have not changed, Therefore, the IP addresses are also the same as usual.

However, the Vendors of 3 items in my network have suddenly been changed in my FingBOX.
    An ASUS laptop and AS Rock desktop are suddenly HP products and my Genexis router is suddenly a Drgos device....

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @MarcoNL
    Can you confirm if the Fingbox is connected directly to router and not to switch? Also, Can you remove those devices and then scan the network manually again to see if correct devices are identified or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarcoNL
    Hey @Robin,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, the FingBox is connected to the router directly at the moment. It was connected via a TP-Link TP-1600G managed switch for over a year, but just recently things suddenly changed.
    Today I downloaded the Fing Desktop App (looking good btw) and I have found that Fingpedia does not have my router on-list (anymore), so I have suggested adding it via the 'manual' option. I just hope it helps. Let's wait and see for the next few weeks.

This does not explain why my Asus laptop (and OEM PC) suddenly shows as an HP laptop.
    Strangely enough Fing recognizes the Vendor Mac as an Asus-MAC and an AsRock-MAC, but the named Brands are HP.

For now, I have no problems if you close this subject and get on with real problems ;)
    Stay safe and thanks for the help