Why is my Fing network scan incorrect after upgrade to iOS14?

AustinJerry
AustinJerry Member Posts: 101
25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
I am running a network scan from both an iPhone 10XR and an iPad Pro, both now running iOS14.  Previous network scans have been completely reliable.  Now, I am seeing multiple devices showing offline when the devices are verifiable to be online.  Examples are several of my Nest devices (cameras, thermostats) which are accessible from the Nest app, but showing offline in Fing.  I opened my Asus router interface, generated the network device list, and verified the devices are online.

And here is something interesting--I have an older iPad Air that is too old to get iOS14.  I ran a Fing network scan on this device, and it finds 28 of 34 devices online.  The same scan on my iPhone results in 19 of 34 devices online.  What is going on here???  Isn't Fing getting this information from the Fingbox, which should have identical information for either device?
Fingbox owner from the beginning

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,652
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Here is what I am seeing when I do a network discovery on five Fing apps:

Total Devices Online Fing Ver
    Windows Workstation 28 25 2.2.0
    iPhone 10XR (iOS 14) 34 20 1.14.18
    iPhone 6s (iOS 14) 28 26 1.14.18
    iPad Pro (iOS 14) 34 26 1.14.18
    iPad Air (iOs 12.4) 34 27 1.14.18
    I can understand the discrepancy in total number of devices because there are devices that were added since the iPhone 6s and Desktop Fing apps were last run, and these devices are currently offline.  What I cannot reconcile is why the iPhone 10XR Fing app is only seeing 20 online devices, when the other Fing apps are seeing 5-7 more devices.  I scanned the offline devices on the iPhone 10XR, and the following device types are showing offline on the iPhone 10XR, but online on all other Fing apps:  a smart fan, two Nest thermostats, a Nest doorbell camera, a Nest Protect, and a Sonos Boost.  I verified that all these devices are indeed online, so the question is, why is the iPhone 10XR not seeing them?

I have to admit, running multiple Fing apps on different devices is not pleasant at all, because if a device is customized on one app, the customizations don't appear on the other apps.  The Achilles Heel of Fing is that there is no provision for a single central database to synchronize changes across multiple app instances.  Perhaps I am not the typical user by having multiple apps in use.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that’s a good question.  At minimum the iOS devices should all be seeing the same thing, especially if each device can ping the ones they can’t. I’m assuming they are all connected to the same access point?  If not could you do that and post the results?

@Robin or @Ciaran, are there any type of troubleshooting you can recommend for @AustinJerry to perform that could shed more light on this ?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    If by access point you mean the router, yes, they are all connected to the same one.  I am running two wireless networks, a 2.4 and a 5 GHZ network.  The iPhone 10XR is on the 5GHz network.  As a test, I switched it to the 2.4GHz network and re-ran the Fing scan.  This has made things even worse.  Now the scan is reporting 17 of 19 devices online.  Some of the devices that were previously discovered, but showing offline, are now not even appearing in the list.  This is happening even though the missing devices are on the same 2.4GHz network.  Clearly something is broken.

Another thing not working properly:  when I try and clean up the device list by selecting "Remove Device", the device is not removed, even if I refresh the device list.  Am I doing something wrong?

Fing is almost completely useless to me now.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I switched the iPhone back to the 5GHz network, and now the Fing scan is showing 8 of 34 devices online.  The inconsistency of the results is perplexing.   After waiting a minute or two, now showing 12 of 34.  Exited the app and relaunched, now showing 13 of 34...
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing not working properly:  when I try and clean up the device list by selecting "Remove Device", the device is not removed, even if I refresh the device list.  Am I doing something wrong?

If I am reading what your saying correctly, you cannot delete a device that is on line.  That choice would not presented to you on a swipe.  Are you saying you see the choice (trash can icon) in the swipe and nothing happens?
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I am saying that with the new "Private address" feature in iOS 14, I have a couple of stale devices in my device list that represent my iPhones with a previous IP address.  Since I don't want the same device showing in my list twice, I am trying to delete the stale one, which is showing as being offline.  I open Device Detail, select "Remove Device", and Confirm.  The device is still there, even after a refresh.  

When I swipe right and click the Trash Can icon, same thing--the device is still in the list.  What is wrong here?
    And my iPhone is currently showing 21 of 35 devices (a different answer every time I refresh), while the iPad Pro is showing 32 of 38.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I went through the same thing though mine deleted. Let’s see when the Fing folks come on line what they say

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Still analyzing this issue.  This morning my iPad finds 25 devices on line, but the iPhone finds only 23.  Comparing the device listings on each device, it gets even stranger.  There are 5 devices showing online on the iPad which are offline on the iPhone, and 3 devices showing online on the iPhone which are offline on the iPad.  This accounts for the difference of 2 devices, but doesn't explain why a device would be showing online on one device, but offline on the other.  For the devices showing offline, I went to several of the devices and verified that they were indeed online and responsive.  Why there is not consistency between the two devices, both using the same app version and running discovery on the same network at the same time, is perplexing.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @AustinJerry @Marc

Our engineers are working on new ios14 updates as it was not publically released before so our developers could not test it.  

We will investigate this issue and we will work on a fix. In meantime, in order for Fing app to work with ios14, you might need to disable "Use Private Address" and the issue will be resolved. To disable the Private Mac address, 

1. Open the Settings app, then tap Wi-Fi. 

1. Tap the information button next to a network. 

1. Tap Private Address. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Robin.  All of the tests I have reported are being run with the Private Address feature of iOS14 disabled, so I doubt that it is the root cause of the issue.  If you need me to test anything out, let me know.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I have been working on this issue and have made some progress.  To review, I have four iOS devices, three which are running iOS14 (an iPad Pro, an iPhone 6s, and an iPhone 10XR), and an iPad Air running iOS12.  When I run a Fing network discovery, three of the four devices find 31 online devices, which is the correct number.  However, the iPhone 10XR is still reporting an inaccurate number of devices.  I reset the network settings on the iPhone and ran the network discovery again.  The first time it reported 10 devices online.  The second time, 17 devices online.  The third time, 18 devices online, and it is holding steady at this number.  Of the devices that are reported offline, there is a mixture of 2.4GHz wireless devices, 5GHz wireless devices, and hard-wired Ethernet devices (so no pattern).

I am at a loss why the iPhone 10XR alone is producing these incorrect results.  I don't perceive anything else wrong with this device.

And by the way, the Fing desktop app reports only 24 online devices...   (sigh)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @AustinJerry
    We have released a new Fing mobile version with updates which is compatible with ios14. Can you upgrade and check and in meantime, I am seeking further help on this concern. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded all of my devices to the new Fing release this morning.  The iPad Pro and the iPhone 10XR are now showing the same number of online devices, which is good.  The iPhone 6s is showing four more online devices, and a quick check is showing the four devices representing the difference as actually being offline right now, so not sure why the 6s is reporting them online.

I still cannot delete a device from the list on the iPhone 10XR by swiping left and selecting the Trash Can.  I really would like this to work so that I can clean up some stale devices in the list.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @AustinJerry
    Are you trying to delete any online device. Deleting an online device from a Fingbox network has always been disabled. That is because, if the device is online and you delete it, Fingbox will automatically re-create it at the next scan because it's an active monitoring system. If the user logs out of the account, the network he's seeing is not "live data" anymore, and therefore you can delete it.  

* Deleting a device on a manually-scanned network is instead always possible, regardless of the online/offline state, because that state is just a snapshot of the past and doesn't get automatically updated. 
     If possible please share the screenshot of the error while deleting the network.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I have figured out what is going on with the device delete.  This pertains to offline devices only.  On the iPad, when I swipe left and click the trash can, the device disappears immediately.  On the iPhone !)XR, when I swipe left and click the trash can, the device remains in the list.  Only after I select "Refresh" does the device go away.  If you care to, you could explain why the behavior differs on two iOS devices.

As for the other issues I have been reporting, I consistently see devices that are marked offline on one device, and online on the other devices.  Care to explain why multiple iOS Fing apps can mark a device online on one device and offline on another?  I would expect device discovery to be reliable across all devices.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think something might be going on with the app specifically with your XR .

I just did the same on my XR. Latest version of fingapp 9.2.0, iOS 14.0.1. Swiped to delete an offline device. It went away on its own. no need to refresh.

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I could uninstall and reinstall the app.  But won't that erase any customizations, like device names?  That would be painful.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion, I would wait till you hear back from one of the Fing folks like @Robin before you take any action on the XR.  Just to be on the safe side.  Maybe there is a setting or something we are missing here that you could do rather then taking the nuclear option of deleting the app.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for the Fing folks to comment on this on-going issue...
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bumping this up... @Robin or @Ciaran , can one of you help out @AustinJerry ?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @AustinJerry If you have disabled the Private MAC address and if the issue persists then please try to uninstall the Fing app or delete network and then try again. In the deleting the network, you will lose the device customization but we need to replicate the issue to investigate this.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I deleted the Fing app from the iPhone 10XR and reset the network settings.  Discovery of online devices has improved somewhat, but is still not completely correct.  I have five total Fing apps and I reconciled the network discovery across all five devices.  My expectation is that all five Fing instances should produce an identical network discovery listing.  That is not the case.  Only the iPad Pro finds all 27 devices.  The yellow boxes indicate online devices not found by the instance of the Fing app associated with the device in the heading.  Any theories why there is not consistency?  All Fing apps are the most current version.  The desktop is Windows 10.  the iPad Air is an older iOS version.  The other iOS devices are all running iOS14.

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Am I to interpret the lack of further comments as an admission that Fing network discovery, when run on different devices, is indeed inconsistent?  If this is expected behavior, an explanation of why the results would be inconsistent would be welcome.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @AustinJerry
    We are soon releasing a new Fing app version which has better integration among all Fing products. It will be released in few weeks. Once the update is available, please let me know if the results are still inconsistent. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Robin.  I will be looking for it.