Devices blocked again and again with IOS14 upgrade

DickBowyer
DickBowyer Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Agrees
✭✭
edited September 18, 2020 in Fing App #1
My fingbox has taken to blocking my and my wife's iPads and iPhones since update to iOS 14 yesterday. Previously the major IOS updates did not cause this problem but now the devices can be block again and again, requiring manual unblocking. I do have multiple wifi connections in my house connected to ethernet network as walls are so thick and each area needs its own wifi access point. Not a problem previously. Don't really want to turn off "blocking new device" feature. Any solution please?

Best Answers

• MDeumens
    MDeumens Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hello there,

It is because the new feature "Privéaddress" in the WiFi settings in te new IOS 14 release.
    The Privéaddress setting give you every time you connect to a WiFi network a private unique MAC Address instead of the build in MAC Address of your device.
    For detail about that matter look at https://support.apple.com/nl-be/HT211227 
    joltdudeDickBowyerRobin_from_Fing
  • MDeumens
    MDeumens Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    #3 Accepted Answer
    Disable the new "Privéaddress" feature for all the WiFi access points you have that are behind your FingBox.
    For that matter look on the Apple Support Site 
    joltdudeDickBowyer
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 54
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    #4 Accepted Answer

Yes, on her device go to WiFi, then next to your network name press on the i icon and turn off Private Address.

joltdudeDickBowyer
  • joltdude
    joltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    ✭✭
    #5 Accepted Answer
    Some folks beat me to it... but you must go to each wireless profile on your home network and switch off Private Address.. this is a good feature for say a cafe or public WiFi but not for a home or business private network and Apple should have not enabled it by default ... 
    DickBowyer
  • joltdude
    joltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    ✭✭
    #6 Accepted Answer
    Apple so "helpfully" enabled mac address spoofing/random hardware addresses (in windows terminology)  without asking the user.... it actually isn't a bad idea on public wifi and public networks, but is an awful idea on private/home networks... 

DickBowyer

Answers