When I go onto one of my WIFi

Who_WiFI138Who_WiFI138 Member Posts: 1

Every time I go out on of my WIFI’s I have 3. But just one has the generic IP address. I will delete and refresh and it comes right back. Sometimes it will say that they tried to get on if I keep doing it but if I wait awhile it will say they are online. This morning I saw it and it’s been online 6 hours hit delete came back and it is back online again Any ideas what that could be?

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,639
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Who_WiFI138
    Removing a device will only ignore the device and deletes from the Fing App. It means that you do not want to monitor that particular device but when you rescan the network and if the device is still connected to that network, it will appear again on the network. Removing a device does not delete the device from the network. 

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.  

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.  

I would advise using a manual recognition where you can select the correct device type and O.S and save the device. This inserting of as many details that you can about the device will help to improve the recognition engine for all Fing users.  

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 234
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Who_WiFI138, it could be a device that you have granted access to your network but don't remember what it is.  I do that al the time.  One way to remedy that is to enable "Auto blocking of new devices" and you'll get an alert and email anytime a new device tries to access your network, wired or wireless.  Then you can determine what the device is and decide to allow it access to your network or keep it blocked.
  • Q101Q101 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    you can always use https://macvendors.com . type the first 3 octets and get the vendor. if their is no vendor then its probably a mac generator (metasploit)