Online College Textbooks May Contain Malware

kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 4 in Devices & Security

"Security experts are warning about back-to-school dangers for students who want to cut the cost of textbooks by accessing them online. Over the past academic year, cybercriminals targeting students attempted to attack Kaspersky users more than 356,000 times, Kaspersky Lab researchers said Monday. The majority of the malware was disguised as free essays, but textbooks accounted for roughly a third."

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
Tagged:
VioletChepilSH4D0WZ0MB1E

Comments

• kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please be safe out there in the vastness that is called Cyberspace.  Please use a trusted service for Antivirus and Malware protection, even if you're running on a Macbook.
    GidsterVioletChepilHronos
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Interesting this discussion since it's targeting those who may be less equipped with cyber security knowledge! Seems like something that needs to be added to curriculum too. I have no children in school and have not been a student for many years and I guess things have changed a lot since then! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time was, it was only exe and scr files one had to worry about - alongside never opening attachments from emails.

Now it seems that pretty much any file type can be misused to force buffer overflows. Perhaps the time has come to do a full rewrite off applications in a safer language that's not as liable to suffer buffer overflows (Rust?)
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    kltaylorHronosVioletChepil
    Pooh said:
    Time was, it was only exe and scr files one had to worry about - alongside never opening attachments from emails.

Now it seems that pretty much any file type can be misused to force buffer overflows. Perhaps the time has come to do a full rewrite off applications in a safer language that's not as liable to suffer buffer overflows (Rust?)
    Lately, cyber criminals will go to great lengths to issue their brand of angst and stress.  I saw this article and remembered that I would always seek those books online as well, it was not the great cost as it was for the hard copies, and I didn't have them cluttering the house.
    I have way too many Nerd things for that! =)
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭
    Cyber attackers finds the way to make you "clic" their stuff, they need only 5 seconds of distraction and we are screwed...
    But, even if is easier to "hack" than "protect" we have to do our best to accomplish security... 
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylorVioletChepil
    Hronos said:
    Cyber attackers finds the way to make you "clic" their stuff, they need only 5 seconds of distraction and we are screwed...
    But, even if is easier to "hack" than "protect" we have to do our best to accomplish security... 
    I believe that the first part of making yourself more secure in an online environment is making yourself aware of the dangers.
    HronosVioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

@kltaylor I totally agree

Keep looking up!
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • SH4D0WZ0MB1ESH4D0WZ0MB1E Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Guess it was only a matter of time before this happened. Cyber criminals will always try to target those who they believe they can make a successful attack against, and college students will do anything to help cut costs. I remember doing everything I could to save as much money as I could. Guess students today have more things to look at for and be aware of. 

Just remember to always buy from a reputable source and you'll lower your risk.
    VioletChepilkltaylor