Fingbox no longer accessible to Fing iOS app; says it’s “Disconnected”

KevTHCKevTHC Member Posts: 5
First Comment
Seems that our Fingbox and our Fing iOS apps are no longer talking. Fing iOS app says the box is “Disconnected” and has done for around a month now. I have switched the fingbox off and on lots of times, to no avail. The light on top of the fingbox remains white. I have tried resetting the fingbox to factory settings, but the article I found on this forum that explained how to do this was inaccurate (talks of a hole for reset that requires a paper clip, whereas my has a little button) and my fingbox does not follow the instructions (it doesn’t start flashing after powering up with the button pressed and keeping it pressed for 30 seconds.) Any thoughts on how I can get this little puppy operational again?

Answers

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the Fingbox version 1.0 or 2.0?
  • KevTHCKevTHC Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Model no is FIN-B-002 - does that mean it is 2.0?
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    KevTHC said:
    Model no is FIN-B-002 - does that mean it is 2.0?
    It means it is version 2.0. In order to address your query, can you please perform the steps mentioned below and see if anything changes.

Check List:

1. Try an alternative ethernet cable (CAT 6) - to identify if the issue may be with the ethernet cable (to note: if you have a CAT 7 this should also work, however, CAT 7 cables can be expensive so please do not purchase one solely for this purpose)

2. Try an alternative 5V power core cable - to identify if the issue may be with the power cable

3. Power source: Is the Fingbox plugged into a power strip/extender or directly in the wall? Some users have reported issues whereby the power extenders was causing issues supplying enough power for the Fingbox (perhaps an issue with the power extender). Please plug the power cable directly into the wall to test.

4. Is the Fingbox connected directly to the router? If it is not connected to the router where is it connected?

5. Ports: Are all ports required for Fingbox to work open or if UPNP is enabled?

Ports required:

• 80 (Internet Speed Test)

• 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates)

• 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test)

• 4443 (Fing Service)

• 5671 (Fing Diagnostics)
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    KevTHC
    First Comment
    Thanks for your help so far Robin.
    1. Tried a different Cat5 cable; no change.
    2. Tried a different power setup; no change.
    3. I already tried plugging the power directly into into the wall socket instead of an extension before. But tried this again; no change.
    4. Fingbox has always been network cabled directly into the router, and so still is.
    5. I haven’t knowingly changed anything to do with ports, but I don’t know how one might configure those. When I first got my fingbox (august 2019) I didn’t reconfigure any ports; it just worked when plugged in. These ports need to be opened on the router? How does one do that? I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000.
    Thanks again for any help that you can provide.
    Kev.
    First Comment
    Robin - any further help you can provide on this. As things stand, the Fingbox is bricked, and I feel a little disappointed that this device has only just lasted out a year - I expected way more. If you are unable to help further, is there someone I can talk to regarding getting a replacement?
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @KevTHC
    Are you still facing the issue as I can see from your Fing account, your Fingbox is working fine now? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Yes, and no. I couldn’t continue to wait around, so I contacted Amazon (from where I bought it) who offered 2-years of support - their support was only an offer to refund, which I took, because I could then order another and get going again. Waiting weeks for any assistance doesn’t fit well when you want the functionality working, hence opting for the quick fix. I have been pretty frustrated that I couldn’t just pick up the phone and talk to Fing support and get the issue talked out and solved, but maybe there are other support channels that I don’t know about. If the forum is the only support, then it doesn’t really stack up. Thanks for the responses you guys gave though, even if they amounted to no solution.