Why does this computer not show an IPV6 address in my gateway?

SkiRodSkiRod Member Posts: 2
Name Dropper First Comment

Does anybody know why, when I look at the list of connected devices in my gateway, my work computer doesn't show an IPV6 address? Every other device in there except the cable box has a MAC, IPV4, & IPV6, but not my work computer. It's just the MAC & IPV4. Is it the company's VPN in the computer or the security dongle maybe? (SecurID)

Thanks for the help!

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,791
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @SkiRod, it may be possible that your company disabled the ipv6 protocol via group policy.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    SkiRodRobin
  • SkiRodSkiRod Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment

@Marc Thanks! Is there a particular reason they do that? What's the difference between the two (IPV4 & IPV6) anyway? I never actually understood that. In the gateway, with the connected devices, they'll show something like a local link IPV4 & IPV6 & a WAN IPV6. I know LAN & WAN are local and wide area network, but I always thought that when you go online, you get one IP address that identifies the computer and your location. Is there an easy way to understand how that works?

Thanks again!

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,791
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There could be many... their network infrastructure might not support it, the firms systems monitoring software, device management software etc... you would be surprised even after all these years how little adoption their is to ipv6 overall.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    This is about the non-technically technical explanation that I found:
    https://phoenixnap.com/blog/ipv4-vs-ipv6
    The biggest "why" is because the world has ran out of IPV4 IP addresses.  IPV6 resolves that issue.  However, internal networks will still be setup on IPV4.