Different WiFi frequency, Different Mac?

Zagor21Zagor21 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited August 2020 in Fing App

Hello,

I may have missed something in the past but it happened now that when I connect to the WiFi with different frequency (5 Ghz or 2.4) the phone is reconnized by fing as it was a different one. The Mac associated to the phone is different and this may lead to this behaviour. Is this correct? I have never noticed this. The WiFi "card" inside the phone should be only one.

Thanks

Adriano

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,193
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for the suggestion @Zagor21
    I will pass this suggestion to our developers for consideration and hopefully it might be added for future versions. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,193
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Zagor21

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. 

Also, If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network then you might see duplicate devices as both frequencies have their own different MAC address and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Zagor21Zagor21 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7

Thanks for the prompt response, I understand. While from the technical point of view the behaviour is perfect (two mac, two devices), I am wandering if it could be possible to find a way (let the user associate the two mac as a single device?) to avoid this "unexpected" duplication. Especially when the phone is referred to the presence of a specific person in the network.

Thanks again.

Adriano

• Zagor21Zagor21 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7

Addendum.

Of course I can associate 2 or more phones (mac address) to a single user but this does not act as expected. Just one of them can in fact be the preferred and for this reason trigger the person presence.

If I am not wrong.

Thanks again.