App/Program Control

andyhall_meandyhall_me Member Posts: 4
First Comment
Does Fing have features that will allow app/program control or blocking? For example, I want my teenage son to have access to the internet but not for some apps/programs such as instagram or facebook. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,523
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I have one cost free solution but it will depend on how savvy the target users are.  There is a product called opendns for example, where you can use it to filter web sites you don't want people to reach.  It does this by blocking at the DNS resolution level.  I used to set my DHCP server scope setting on my router to point everyone to use it and it worked like a charm.   For system I wanted to keep out of that loop, I just added google's DNS as a manual override per system.  This will fall apart of the target user knows about or can modify his or her DNS settings.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,523
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @andyhall_me, Fing's mobile app does not provide application level blocking.  It provides device blocking in conjunction with a Fingbox.  To block things like Instagram and Facebook, many routers provide the ability to block certain web sites and perhaps you could investigate if yours does that?  The major ones like linksys, google, Asus etc all do this....
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • andyhall_meandyhall_me Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Hi Marc, thanks for the information, you are correct, I can block it on my router but that blocks it for everyone and I want a device that will block it for individual devices like bitdefender but that is a bit more than I wanted to spend and has an annual subscription.
    Thanks Andy
    First Comment
    Hi Marc, I've used this in the past but have not tried to implement it on an Iphone but will give it a go.
    Thanks for the advice.

Andy
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 238
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may need to look into a MDM (mobile device management) solution.
    First Comment
    Thanks Ling, but this is for domestic use, I think an MDM is a little bit over zealous for family use.
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 238
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ling, but this is for domestic use, I think an MDM is a little bit over zealous for family use.
    Do a web search.  There are several out there that are free or cost very little per year and will let you block sites and services.
  • iYuraiYura Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Does Fing have features that will allow app/program control or blocking? For example, I want my teenage son to have access to the internet but not for some apps/programs such as instagram or facebook. 
    look at Kidslox, a kind of residential MDM. Maybe + Pi-Hole
  • JohnnyJackammerJohnnyJackammer Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic

If you are on an iPhone there are parental controls “Screen Time” which allow you to finely control your children’s time on each app and which apps and websites . It works perfectly. You can combine that with the DNS solution above to get a bit more control. One issue with open DNS is it’s network dependent.