Cannot remove device from a person

WellBalanced
WellBalanced Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
First Comment
edited August 21, 2020 in Fing App #1
(The tone of this message is angry, because I'm SO frustrated with Fing right now.) Nowhere in the iOS, web, or Windows desktop app can I find a place to remove a device from a person. None of the articles on here have been helpful. I made the mistake of assigning my child's devices to her, and now I can't remove them. I just created an internet pause schedule for her because I can't schedule individual devices (wtf?). I want her mobile devices to be paused, but not her Echo. Now I can't remove the Echo from her name. If I go to the user screen for her and 'Edit', the device doesn't even show up in the list for me to uncheck. If I go to the device's screen and 'Edit', there is no option to change the assigned user. That's all in the mobile app. The desktop app appears to me to have zero actual functionality and will be uninstalled after this post. (That's a whole other angry post.)

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @WellBalanced, lets see if we can help you.  Can you have a look at this thread and see if it works for you?  This has commentary by @Robin from Fing...  https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/20442#Comment_20442

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • WellBalanced
    First Comment
    Thanks Marc, but as stated in my original post: "If I go to the user screen for her and 'Edit', the device doesn't even show up in the list for me to uncheck. If I go to the device's screen and 'Edit', there is no option to change the assigned user." And I've already read that post, which is just directions that I've already tried.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you screen shot what your seeing? Also tagging @Robin to see if he has any suggestions.

• WellBalanced
    First Comment
    The first screenshot is the user screen for "Isabella". You can see the device in question "Izzy's Dot" at the bottom of the list of her devices.

The second screenshot is the 'Edit' screen for "Isabella". The device "Izzy's Dot" is nowhere in this list (not even below this screenshot).

The third screenshot is the device screen for "Izzy's Dot". You can see that there is no user-related option where is should have a button labelled "Assigned to Isabella". This button is present on her other devices.

• fingdev
    fingdev Member, Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    ✭✭
    Hi WellBalanced,

The problem is that the EchoDot is not among the devices that are supposed to be assignable. You should only assign portable devices as Wearbles, Mobiles or Laptops. What happened here is that probably the EchoDot was mis-identified as a Generic device (and so since we cannot infer which type of device it is, it's available for assignment) and then assigned to a user. Now, to solve your problem go to the EchoDot details screen and change its type to Mobile. Then Edit the user Isabella and you should be able to unassign the device from the user. Finally go back to the Device Type screen and reassign the correct type. This is intended as a workaround, we will provide a fix in the next release of the Fing app.
    MarcRobin_from_Fing
  • WellBalanced
    First Comment
    You got my hopes up for a minute there, but no, that didn't work. I can only change the Dot to other Alexa device types, which appear to all have the same issue. (Why can't I change it to whatever the heck I want?) I changed the Dot to "Mobile / Echo Smart" and tried "Smart Plug" but the device is still not available on the user screen. 
    While I can appreciate your attempts to identify a device's type, you should still leave us the ability to change it to any type of device we choose to on our own network, not just the ones you think we should use. Since I can't change it to anything else, I'm still stuck.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @fingdev, just for the heck of it I tried to select and assign any device recognized by my Fingbox to me and it allowed me to.  That included an IP phone system, a Cisco router and a Wemo mini plug. Not sure if what you stated is in fact implemented?
  • fingdev
    ✭✭

It is implemented and I just tested it earlier today. It works as expected. Can you tell the types of the devices you managed to assign and from which screen (user edit, notification, device detail). I’m going to do a double check tomorrow morning.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me show you a screenshot...  Before and after.  I selected the router and just assigned it to myself...  Please let me know if you need any other info...

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And here is my profile with it clearly assigned...  (and yes, I do like apple products!)

fingdev
  • WellBalanced
    First Comment
    Are you able to remove it from yourself?
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, over and over again...  Part of what I tested.
  • fingdev
    ✭✭
    Hi @Marc ,
    The router is a device which is "assignable" to a user. You should try with something that should not belong to a user: GARAGE, ALARM BELL and stuff like that. In any case, we added the possibility to remove all assigned devices from the next release of the Fing App and we'll review the types of assignable devices.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2020 #15

I think the inconsistency of the policy was a problem. I could assign a light switch and a router but could not assign an echo spot? It’s pretty random. Was there ever any documentation on this behavior?

Regardless, glad you folks have it in hand for the next version.

• WellBalanced
    First Comment
    I know you don't have a hard date, but do you have any idea when that next version will drop? Maybe a week or a month? There's no way you could go in on the backend and remove my problem devices from the users?
  • fingdev
    ✭✭

We submitted for Apple review today and it should be available tomorrow

Marc
  • WellBalanced
    First Comment
    Oh wow, thanks for that.