iSCSI notifications from FingBOX

MarcoNLMarcoNL Member Posts: 16
10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
edited August 2020 in Fingbox
I have an iSCSI device (NAS) in my network and use that from a PC and Mac.
When the PC and/or Mac boot, FingBOX always reports a New device with a random MAC-Address. (I auto-block new/unknown devices, so they appears as a new blocked device)
This is easy to clean-up, but the reports are becoming a pain in the behind. Sometimes I need to clear 16 reports/devices. (Fing reports it coming on-line and going down again in a timescope 2 minutes)
What can I do to prevent these reports?
TIA
MarcoNL
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MarcoNL thanks for asking your question.
    Have you (and I'm at a loss for the right word that Fing uses) 'recognized' the device?  It's also weird that it's randomizing a MAC address and would want to know more about it, and why it's doing that.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MarcoNL
    What kind of NAS device are you using? Please make sure all ports needed for Fingbox is open for it. Ports 80, 443 are usually used by Synology NAS(if applicable).  You will need to change those port configurations so that both of these devices can work together.   

This is just a sample from WD on how to do this.  This is from their community forum. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarcoNLMarcoNL Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the response guys.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the NAS (Synology RS820+) that causes the odd MAC addresses. I think Windows and SNS SCSI Target cause them.
    The odd MAC-addresses I cannot figure out, This afternoon, after rebooting the PC, the MAC-address was 'AF:3A:8D:06:20:D8'. I have just rebooted the PC, just to see what happens, and FingBox returned 2 MAC-addresses:
    '1F:66:1E:46:F5:03' and 'F2:3C:B3:29:B8:BC'.
    All 3 of the MAC-addresses are not owned by a manufacturer (according to https://www.ipchecktool.com/tool/macfinder ) so they are likely to be created locally, but I have no clue where.... What I find disturbing also, it that the MAC-addresses disappera after ~2 minutes (Fing repots it's down again)
    Fing does not recognize the device and I think it can't, because the hardware address changes every time.
    Fing and the NAS are on the same subnet, they can talk if they want. Nothing is closed for the subnet.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MarcoNL
    It seems like either the Windows or some other device has MAC randomization enabled which is the reason for these virtual MAC addresses. You may need to disable this by checking for which device it is enabled to minimize the alerts.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarcoNLMarcoNL Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2020
    Robin said:
    Hi @MarcoNL
    It seems like either the Windows or some other device has MAC randomization enabled which is the reason for these virtual MAC addresses. You may need to disable this by checking for which device it is enabled to minimize the alerts.

It could (should) be something like that...
    I haven been searching for the 'about' and 'why', but there is no easy way finding info about this.
    I shure did not find a setting in the MS iSCSI-initiator that could solve this,

I leave it to reat for a while, perhaps some more luck in finding a bit more info in a couple of days.
    Thanks for the effort guys!

Robin