Notification details are not visible - What am I missing?

tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited August 16 in Fing Desktop
There's a Notification screen in the Desktop app giving a headline of recent notifications. For example:
You have warnings on current network 
Connectivity warning in XXXXXX: Some device is not able to get in network
Network XXXXXX is working but you have a number of warnings
You have connectivity problems
You are experiencing a number of connectivity problems in XXXXXX.

You can click on these notification headers and the intuitive expectation would be that this would take you to the detail of whatever the problem was that was detected - that would be useful.  Instead it simply takes you the "YOUR CONNECTIVITY HEALTH" which gives you the current state of the network.

What is the purpose of a list of recent Notification headers if you can't see what the details of the problem were - and investigate why it happened?
Am I missing something?

ChrisBon

Best Answer

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,787
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @touriga I have seen the same thing.  The only time I have seen relevant data is if the condition is still going on.  Most of the time though the message is transient and the link is useless if the event is corrected or no longer relevant.  @Robin or @Ciaran, do one of you folks have greater inside into this that we are missing?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    tourigaChrisBon

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @touriga

The notification you are referring comes when your device was either in sleep mode or the Fing desktop was unable to connect to the internet. When you click on the notification, it takes you to home tab to either re-run the scan or check if there is any error at present. When you manually scan or refresh the network, then Fing desktop re-runs the network scan and is able to talk to its servers and run the checks identifying everything is working alright.  

The Connectivity alert is only for that particular time when Fing desktop was unable to run checks due to the device was in sleep mode or the internet was disconnected. You can always refresh the scan to make sure if everything is working alright at the current time

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. Looks like this is a candidate for a feature request. If I get a notification I want to investigate what happened at the time the notification occurred. Showing me what the current state is is useless. I can do that without going to the notifications.

MarcFiftyFiveChrisBon
  • FiftyFiveFiftyFive Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    This makes no sense.  Right now Find desktop "Home" screen next to "Notifications" is a "1" in a red circle.  Yet when I click on "Notifications" it says "No new notifications here!".  So how do I get rid of the notification flag?
    tourigaChrisBon
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    FiftyFive said:
    This makes no sense.  Right now Find desktop "Home" screen next to "Notifications" is a "1" in a red circle.  Yet when I click on "Notifications" it says "No new notifications here!".  So how do I get rid of the notification flag?
    Can you please share the screenshot of the notification and home tab? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • FiftyFiveFiftyFive Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hi Robin:  Since my post I've had several network conditions that have trigger a notification, but the situation I described hasn't recurred.  So everything seems fine now.  If another anomaly occurs, I'll re-post with a screen shot.
    Thanks.
    RobinChrisBon