Is Hyper-V Virtual Adapter a security risk

SBN01SBN01 Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
I recently discovered  Hyper-V Virtual Adaptors named after each of my my ethernet and Wifi connections. They have IP addresses in a range outside of my DHCP range. They seem to connect randomly to the internet and modify the DNS settings from IP4 to IP6 ranges. Is this a security risk? How do I get rid of them?
Hyper-V is not enabled as a Windows service
Tagged:
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SBN01, welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    There is a litany of issues with the information that you've provided, so I'm going to address each of those individually.

>I recently discovered  Hyper-V Virtual Adaptors named after each of my my ethernet and Wifi connections.
    I'm assuming from this statement that you're not sure what Hyper-V is, and why this would be a huge issue.  Hyper-V is a virtual environment typically used in professional environments as well as some in the social community.  When you say that they are named after each of the network connections to your network, signifies to me that a Virtual Machine is using those connections.  Are you aware of any Virtual Machines that run on your LAN?

>They have IP addresses in a range outside of my DHCP range.
    This is a big red flag, so what are their individual IP addresses, and what is your DHCP range?  Have you designated any network adapters to have a static IP address that resides outside of your DHCP?

>They seem to connect randomly to the internet and modify the DNS settings from IP4 to IP6 ranges.
    This is another red flag.
    What DNS entries are they adding, and what did you have in there previously?  Are YOU the only one that has access to your router, or is there another who has access to it as well?

>Is this a security risk? How do I get rid of them?
    It could possibly be, yes.  You can start by changing the password to the admin account of your router, your WiFi passwords and use a robust password that a password generator can provide to you.  Don't use a password that has a common name or phrase that a dictionary could define for you, remember to use lower and upper-case letters, numbers and special characters will help as well.  Give the password at least 8-12 characters in length just to be sure that if someone is trying to hack into your equipment, they'll have to work a bit to get into it.

Please let me know the answers to the above questions, if you don't want to have your LAN information in a public forum, feel free to DM them to me and will continue to assist you from there.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • SBN01SBN01 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi kltaylor
    Last week I sent you the info you requested.  Will you be replying?
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    SBN01 said:
    Hi kltaylor
    Last week I sent you the info you requested.  Will you be replying?
    Already had, sorry but I do my best to tend the forums M-F, weekends are typically family and personal time.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • goalkengoalken Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    The information is very special, I will have to follow you, the information you bring is very real, reflecting correctly and objectively, it is very useful for society to grow together. run 3