Intermittent "DNS not working" or "test site can't be reached" on Xfinity
- For many weeks I've been having intermittent DNS fails, several times a day on my MacBook Pro, connected via Ethernet to the router, via a 24 port switch in the wiring close.
- We have 300mbit service, and a recent Comcast node split, so bandwidth doesn't seem to be the issue. And all the wiring into the house from the pole has been checked.
- In addition, iPhones experience very long load times for apps and web sites, intermittently.
- Comcast is our only local provider. I was using the XB6 gateway with xFi Pods. Tech support didn't offer any ideas for the problem, other than restart. And you can't change the DNS supplier on the XB6, it's locked to Comcast's DNS.
- So I put the XB6 in Bridge mode and setup an Eero Pro as the router, using Comcast DNS. Same problem. So then I went to custom DNS, using Cloudflare 188.8.131.52 as primary and Google 184.108.40.206 as backup for both IPv4 and IPv6.
- Still have the problem.
- Note that I have many smart home devices on the network, in addition to four people's worth of laptops and smartphones, plus extras. So there's lots going on in the network. Three or even four of us using video chat at once.
- But Fing Desktop software will and post DNS fail notices in the middle of the night when we're all sleeping!
- I've got a Fing Box, in addition the Mac app, and the iPhone app.
- no clue on what the cause is.
- Any suggestions?
In addition to alerts from Fing, I'll get long delays in loading a web site, or 30 second pauses in Microsoft Teams video calls.
- 4.9K All Categories
- 2.6K Ask about Connected Technology
- How To...
- 928 Devices & Security
- 1.5K Network Troubleshooting & Connectivity
- 100 General Discussion, Weird & Wonderful
- 37 Network Infrastructure
- 4.4K Ask about Fing
- 406 Fing Account Change Request
- 868 Fing Desktop
- 1.1K Fing App
- 1.5K Fingbox
- 467 Announcements, Beta Testing & Release Notes
- 147 Community Updates
- 19 Getting started
- 11 Community User Guides