Force Fingbox to connect at 1000Mbps?

HappySpaceInvader
HappySpaceInvader Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited August 13, 2020 in Fingbox #1

Is there a way to prevent auto-negotiation and instead force the Fingbox to connect at 1000Mbps?

I’m sick of having to unplug/replug the Fingbox every time my ISP connection is slow or intermittent for a period of time, after finding it stuck on 100Mbps.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @HappySpaceInvader
    Thanks for your post. Currently, there is no way to force the network speed on Fingbox. If your Fingbox is connected to a switch then low network speed is normal. You can either connect Fingbox to router directly or change the ethernet cable to any CAT 6 or CAT 7 cable which may improve results.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bjlaurie
    bjlaurie Florida, USMember, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I am having a similar problem with my Fingbox, it used to show the connection speed via the app as being 1 Gbps, but for weeks now when I check the app it doesn't show a connection speed at all, but says it can connect faster. I checked the status on my router and it shows 100 Mbps for the port that the Fingbox is connected to using the factory ethernet cable.I've reset the router and power cycled the FB which worked for a little while but now it's back to this state. There is a marked difference in the speedtest results from my FB and my other devices. 

I just upgraded my ISP to Windstream Fiber and although I am not getting the 1Gbps promised, it is a huge improvement over their ADSL.

But I still can't figure out what would cause the FB not to connect at the correct speed, any advice?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @bjlaurie
    Can you change the ethernet cable to any CAT 6 or 7 cable and then check if the issue persists? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bjlaurie
    bjlaurie Florida, USMember, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I'm certainly willing to try, just have to locate one. I'll let you know the results.
    Robin_from_Fing