Identify device on router or access point

Uptown_Ninja1Uptown_Ninja1 Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
edited September 2019 in Fing App

Does the Fing app or any other app have the ability to identify which device is on which router or access point?

VioletChepil

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Uptown_Ninja1 - we don't show which access point the devices are connected to at present. This could be added as a feature request. @Pooh @kltaylor @Mirekmal Any advice on other apps for doing this?

Community Manager at Fing

Uptown_Ninja1
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just moving this one over to the Fing app category as well 

Uptown_Ninja1
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does the Fing app or any other app have the ability to identify which device is on which router or access point?

This is similar to the request that I commented on where Fing would have the ability to monitor external networks, like a guest wi-fi, etc.
    At present Fing app doesn't have this function, but with that said, if the devs deem to add it, it surely would add Fing app as a niche in that genre.
    I've scoured around looking for other apps that could do this, outside of paid apps that have more features, anything close or being free simply doesn't support this.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilHronosRobin
  • Uptown_Ninja1Uptown_Ninja1 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Would you mind sharing some of the paid apps you discovered that does this?  I wouldnt mind paying a few bucks until Fing offers this.
    VioletChepil
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hm... I'm not aware about any generic application that could do so... Basically stand alone AP or AP part of wireless router should be transparent from network perspective, so any WiFi connected device just shows on network as any other. So nothing like traceroute would show through which AP traffic goes to target (I believe only routing nodes are discovered). I believe only dedicated software solution could help (I mean application that is dedicated to specific type of router/AP and that can read ARP table and via lookup to IP table identify devices).
    Somehow brute force solution I can think of would be to:
    - Fing Box scanning whole network for devices presence
    - disabling AP (though not sure if possible, I think Fing Box can only disable access to Internet) and rescanning network
    - comparing results to verify which originally present devices are inaccessible after disabling specific AP - these would be the one connected to this AP.... unless sort of roaming did not kicked on disconnected device, so it switched to another available AP.
    VioletChepilRobin
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess guest and main network would be seen as seperate. So, if Fing app connected to guest network - it should be able to scan and see the devices I believe?
    Let me know if I've understood correctly the question. 
    In terms of seeing the guest and main network as 1 item, Fing App/Fingbox do not have the capabilities to do this as 1 Fingbox unit is required for each the guest and main network. You can merge access points that are part of the same mesh network for example.

• Uptown_Ninja1Uptown_Ninja1 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Before I upgraded my router, I had an Apple Airport Extreme and an Airport Express (to extend my network).  I could go into the Airport Utility and see which devices were connected to the Airport Extreme and which were connected to the Airport Express.
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Uptown_Ninja1
    Every Wifi AP knows what devices are connected to itself, having it on one place would be cool (I believe same brand devices have this easier to collect), but I think the only way to achieve it over the Fingbox or another method is playing with ARP and/or asking each device for the MAC of their "AP" I am sure they know, but can't remember right now if there is a way to retrieve this information.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin please add any comments on this one too. 

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Uptown_Ninja1 - I've also turned this into a question thread so you can choose a BEST ANSWER too when you are ready.

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

Let me add:

In the digital fence option, some devices appears with a BSSID related to them that BSSID is the MAC Address of the access point the device is connected to. Is not clear, nor easy to see. But, it's something (I hope this helps)

Keep looking up!
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Uptown_Ninja1

Once you are connected to the network which you want to scan then Fing App will try to scan and identify all devices on that network. The Fing app discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognize that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however, we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!