Best app for Wifi channel analysis?

Gidster
Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
When looking to see if wifi channel contention is the cause of an issue on my home network, I'll always turn to Wifi Analyzer on Android. What apps do you use? Are there any solutions that work on iOS?
Head of Product at Fing
Tagged:
Hronos

Best Answer

• joltdude
    joltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    ✭✭
    edited September 2, 2019 #2 Accepted Answer
    Until they moved to a sub model i used to primarily use InSSIDer Office.. since i do have the 2.4 fob....
    I like metageeks stuff but they have kinda priced prosumers out of the market at this point.. the sub isnt too bad, its the device that kinda costs a bit high for extended home use...(they aren't the only product thats done this.. its partly why i moved to fingbox after initially not being interested since it did too little for my liking).  Still have a need to monitor "Aunt Tilleys" network for parents who are not technically astute.. (Do wish there was more of a way to support roaming/profiles between the two .. so devices dont duplicate when they move from one fingbox to another and i dont need multiple accounts for users)  
    For android I like WifiAnalyzer(open source) .. And WifiMan  (Android not IOS) as someone else recommended.. problem is id like something inexpensive to see the interference on other devices which so far its only supported by a dedicated fob... would be cool if someone figured out a way to use an RTL-SDR to let you do some spectral analysis of the 2.4 / 5Gz band and see it overlaid at a much lower pricepoint... (Bluetooth / Wifi / cordless phones / microwaves/ ISS devices also can futz with your Wifi... esp in a crowded condo//apartment... Dont think that folks realize living in a crowded building with folks trampling on 2.4 with setting their routers to wide bandwidth and not using 5 when possible for that sort of traffic does effect others... I have a neighbor who im not amused with.. but have no authority to say anything about and they dont care anyways..  Building has metal lathe in the plaster as welll... 

HronosCrantheman_77

Answers

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 54
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    WiFiman (by UniFi is of some use - not as detailed as others on a computer)
    Gidstergorshunov
  • Jack
    ✭✭✭
    Also Net Analyzer (free and Pro) but to be honest they don't do as much as the fingbox due to the iOS APR restrictions 
  • MDavide
    MDavide Member Posts: 53
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    ✭✭✭

I use a small but effective app on my MAC at home. I cannot remember the name now but I'll have a look when back.

I will keep you posted after tonight's check.

Davide
  • Jack
    ✭✭✭
    On my Mac I have Chanalyzer but it requires a dedicated Wi-Spy USB arial to work and as mine is quite old and doesn't support 5GHz
    joltdude
  • Jack
    ✭✭✭
    Some AP's have the ability to scan (UniFi that I use for example https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/) to find the best channels anti shows graphs of the free ones to use.  
    GidsterHronosgorshunovjoltdudeFingFan2012
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I use NetSpot, which mostly is used on a wireless laptop device.  There's a free version that can display all sorts of information that can help you view and troubleshoot WiFi channel fights.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have always used Wifi Analyzer, It's simple and reliable...
    Of course, what @joltdude mention about an "All in one" (showing not only wifi, but also other radius signals) spectrum analyzer would be better, but... xD
    Keep looking up!
  • AlA777
    AlA777 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 3, 2019 #10
    Android: I have a lot apks to analyze wifi signal, but imo best of them is iwscan by evbadroid, every his apks are awesome, for example WiCap is best tool for packet capturing on android.
    HronosGidster
  • MDavide
    ✭✭✭
    MDavide said:

I use a small but effective app on my MAC at home. I cannot remember the name now but I'll have a look when back.

I will keep you posted after tonight's check.

Sorry for the delay :-)
    I use this tiny toll:

it gives in real time SNR and few useful information including , if it is the case, a suggestion for a different channel.
    Cheers,
    Davide
    Gidster
  • Jack
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on a Mac you can just hold Option (alt on old keyboards) and click on the Wifi signal in the menu bar to see loads more info without installing anything. 
    GidsterMDavidejoltdudeMarc
  • MDavide
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Jack I know. What I consider an added value for this small app is the advise of which is the best channel in case of need. It helped me a couple of times.
    Cheers,
    Davide