Why Fingbox?

Hackencrash
Hackencrash Member Posts: 14
10 Comments Photogenic

Why, if I have a Fingbox, do Pings and Wake-up-on-LAN’s originate from my iPhone?

I get a message stating that I am not on the current network and do I want to add an access point. What’s the point of a Fingbox if I can’t remotely wake up a device?

if I VPN to my router, then fine, I can ping, etc. But why doesn’t the Fingbox do this as it’s already in my network? Why would I want my phone to do this when I’ve paid for a Fingbox - don’t get it.

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,003
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Hackencrash, when you start up the Fing app, make sure you select the Fingbox. I’ve found by default it will choose the network you are on which could be why your seeing the behavior your seeing.  Let us know if this works for you.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Hackencrash
    10 Comments Photogenic

OK, either you haven’t tested this yourself or I have something intrinsically wrong compared to your setup as this does not work. Clicking on the picture of the round Fingbox to select my hone network and then selecting any device to ping does not work whilst I am not at home.

When I first got my Fingbox many years ago things were much better, but every release introduces bugs and features I don’t want in a 1990’s waterfall method instead of being Agile and ensuring the simple things like Ping work.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Hackencrash
    Waking device remotely is one of the security hazards and if you make changes on your router then anyone with the device MAC address can wake your device. We always prefer and advice the users to use WOL from a local location or use Automatic WOL from Fing App.  You may find this post useful: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/20371#Comment_20371
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

OK, either you haven’t tested this yourself or I have something intrinsically wrong compared to your setup as this does not work. Clicking on the picture of the round Fingbox to select my hone network and then selecting any device to ping does not work whilst I am not at home.

When I first got my Fingbox many years ago things were much better, but every release introduces bugs and features I don’t want in a 1990’s waterfall method instead of being Agile and ensuring the simple things like Ping work.

@Hackencrash I see now what you're saying.  I assumed this would work because I could always see the dialog to ping etc.  And as you noted, it does not work when selected.  

@Robin , when I try to , say,  ping something from the app when off my home network, it comes from my phone, not the fingbox, even though I have chosen the Fingbox network.  if I have a Fingbox on the network and issue a command, it should originate from my Fingbox and show me results.  This is not the case I am seeing.  

As far as security is concerned, as this appears to be only possible via an authenticated session from the Fing App itself to the Fingbox, what is the security issue?  I can manage my router/NAS/iOt devices etc remotely (and have the option to turn remote management off) which are potentially more dangerous.  Dialog below is what I see when I try to initiate.  Its a vague message...

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 #6
    Thanks @Marc
    The screenshot has identified the network as NULL, so I believe the location permission is not enabled on the Fing app and thus it is not able to read the SSID correctly and identifying it as a new network.
    Also to clarify, ping, traceroute, and WOL features are done by the Fing app instead of Fingbox. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, its set for location while using.  Is that a problem?  I normally don't leave any app active all the time.

As for Fingbox, I was not aware that those commands come only from the device running the Fingapp.  The Fingbox is not involved..  Interesting.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    @Robin, its set for location while using.  Is that a problem?  I normally don't leave any app active all the time.

Its not a problem but it seems but when you are using the app, the location permissions should have been enabled and instead of null there should have been the SSID name there. So I am wondering whats not working
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, for completeness sake, I enabled always for location permission and I saw the same results of null.  If you want me to troubleshoot this further let me know.  I'm on Fing App 9.1.3, iOS 13.6, iPhone XR...
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    @Robin, for completeness sake, I enabled always for location permission and I saw the same results of null.  If you want me to troubleshoot this further let me know.  I'm on Fing App 9.1.3, iOS 13.6, iPhone XR...
    Thanks Marc, Yes I want to investigate further on this one. I would like you to follow these steps and see if location permissions pop up will appear or not.

1) Open Fing App and Click on the Fingbox/Network name from the top.

2) Go to "Network" tab and click on "Edit" near the MAP icon

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address etc.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

5) Click "Save"

Please log out of the application and then log in again and then scan again.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave it a shot.  Still says null.
  • Hackencrash
    10 Comments Photogenic

I have no idea what you’re on about with this. Fingbox is on my local network, and unless the Fingbox itself is compromised, there’s no reason why Fingbox shouldn’t send a WOL packet to a device on my local network even though I may be accessing the Fing app remotely.

That’s exactly what I want to do. I have a PC in sleep mode that I want to remotely access via VPN which needs waking up by WOL. I could send this via any other local device (in fact that’s what I do now I discovered Fingbox doesn’t work).

if my router were compromised as you suggest, I’m guessing you mean to send a WOL packet from the router menu if it has that option as a normal WOL broadcast wouldn’t traverse a NAT nor a VPN connection unless broadcast is explicitly enabled.

• Hackencrash
    10 Comments Photogenic

I have no idea what you’re on about with this. Fingbox is on my local network, and unless the Fingbox itself is compromised, there’s no reason why Fingbox shouldn’t send a WOL packet to a device on my local network even though I may be accessing the Fing app remotely.

That’s exactly what I want to do. I have a PC in sleep mode that I want to remotely access via VPN which needs waking up by WOL. I could send this via any other local device (in fact that’s what I do now I discovered Fingbox doesn’t work).

if my router were compromised as you suggest, I’m guessing you mean to send a WOL packet from the router menu if it has that option as a normal WOL broadcast wouldn’t traverse a NAT nor a VPN connection unless broadcast is explicitly enabled and in the same subnet.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    Its very strange but is the app and Fingbox working fine for you in every aspect?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

if my router were compromised as you suggest, I’m guessing you mean to send a WOL packet from the router menu if it has that option as a normal WOL broadcast wouldn’t traverse a NAT nor a VPN connection unless broadcast is explicitly enabled.

As mentioned WOL is done by Fing app and not Fingbox. Fing app needs to be on local network for WOL to work. Otherwise, you can use the Automatic WOL on Fing app. To wake up your device remotely, follow these steps:

1. Assign your computer a static IP  

2. Configure port forwarding in your router to pass Port 9 to your PC’s new static IP  

3. Turn on WOL (Wake on LAN) in your PC’s BIOS  

4. Configure your network adapter’s power settings in Windows to allow it to wake the PC  

5. Set up an external IP DNS solution (if your ISP doesn’t provide you with a static IP)  

Then try to enter the destination target on Fing App which is the Ip address and WOL packet will be sent.  
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Robin said:
    Marc said:
    Its very strange but is the app and Fingbox working fine for you in every aspect?
    Yes, working otherwise except for the "null"
  • Hackencrash
    10 Comments Photogenic

Thanks for the 1 to 5 instructions for setting-up WOL through a router but I think I’m a few light years ahead of you in understanding networks if you think this is a solution you’d want to put your name to on a forum!

Sorry to be blunt Robin and I know it enables the Fing app to perform a WOL externally and all that but I now understand what you were getting on about earlier about it being insecure if this was the solution you had in mind when you said that.

Did you know you can even get Alexa to issue a WOL? I have Siri, Google Home and Alexa and Alexa being by far the most insecure, I don’t want to put my name to that solution either just for the record :-)

Most secure in my humble opinion would be if Fingbox could do it.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback @Hackencrash. As I mentioned we usually advise the user not to use WOL on remote location but if you still want to do it, I shared the basic steps. For WOL by Fingbox, I can certainly pass this as a suggestion to our developers for review. Thanks again.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Hackencrash
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    Yes, working otherwise except for the "null"
    Thanks, I will investigate this and update you shortly.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Marc
  • Hackencrash
    10 Comments Photogenic

Hi Robin, “WOL by Fingbox“ - Yes please !!!

That was the main reason I bought Fingbox all those many moons back, just so it could be my main remotely accessible networking tool-set right at the heart of my premises, rather than just another monItoring/alerting box.

i also wish you could set the network mask on the Fingbox NIC manually, overriding DHCP, allowing you, for example, to set this larger to span smaller network subnets beneath it that represent separate VLANs, etc.

This is so you don’t have to buy one Fingbox per network subnet to collectively monitor the whole of your network. Alternatively, you could decide not to have any VLANs at all (except default perhaps) and have just one big flat network - great for broadcasts and discovery but difficult to group objects and apply tailored firewall rule sets, etc.

Quite a big gain in network functionality for something so small as a subnet mask input field!