Network Speeds & Asus AIMesh Questions

Hi! Thanks for reading. I've surfed the community since it was created but haven't posted until tonight. The last several years have seen an explosion in terms of my network's devices and demands. Around Black Friday last Fall/Winter, having upgraded from Spectrum to AT&T Fiber Gigabit, I invested in a new router. I chose the Asus RT-AX88U. I also purchased and installed all new Cat6 cables. Once the guarantine started and I had multiple kids learning at home, I added a 2nd Asus RT-AC68U (shown at AC1900 in my network map) in "AIMesh" mode to the far end of my house. It does not have ethernet backhaul (but I'm trying to figure how to install Cat7 between them before school starts this Fall). I thought, "hey, I've got fast internet, a modern router and good cable; I should see a general increase in connection speeds". I was wrong. The Toshiba laptop I'm on (admittedly outdated with 802.11b/g/n wifi support), about 6 feet from the main router, is clocking 59/59Mbps. A matching pair of newer Acer Chromebooks also just next to my router are clocking 80/150 and 330/284 respectively. My UNRAID Box on a wired connection is better at 600/200 right now. I'm just curious if there's something I can do to make the wireless connections consistently better. I've done a network map below if that's helpful. Is there anything relatively reasonable I can invest in to improve wifi speeds and consistent connections - a Cat7 backhaul between the routers or something else?  This summer we've had trouble with a single Zoom meeting in the house -- and I need to get so 3 kids and I can all work/learn from home next month!  Thanks so much in advance.

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Scooby8199 welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Unfortunately, if you're looking for a means to ensure that your wireless signal is 'consistent' then you're going to undertake a battle that you cannot win.
    Wireless connections will fluctuate in speeds to ensure good connectivity to the router.  55Mbps is an average speed that I anticipate on all 'classic' wireless adapters. 
    Another thing to keep in mind is that wireless signals have channels, and you may also be surrounded by a lot of neighbors that are all competing for the best wireless signal strength (typically channels 1, 6, and 11 are the best and most used) can also cause signal degradation.
    One more thing to consider, 2.4Ghz signal strength is typically going to be the best to use when you're not immediately near the router, only use the 5.0Ghz network if you're in the same room.  Something that I do with my ASUS AI Mesh system is use the same SSID between those speeds and let the router flip me to the right speeds according to my proximity.
    Hope that helps.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Scooby8199