Could I add 2 routers to the same FingBox?

bvg
bvg Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
First Comment
Could I use my FingBox to connect my 2 routers to the internet?
I have 2 ISP subscriptions (for failover & speed reasons) but can only monitor the users behind 1 router.
Both routers are connected directly to the ISP, so I have 2 parallel WiFi networks in my home.
Could I put the FingBox BEFORE the 2 routers?
Or connect the FingBox AS WELL as the second router to my primary router in some way?
Looking for simple hardware connections, plug and play, or a simple software solution.
Any ideas?
Thanks!  B vG
0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Best Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Pooh said:

If you put it between the routers and the Modem them you're not going to see anything behind the router.

As @Mirekmal stated, the Fingbox is a consumer device designed to monitor single networks (subnets\VLans).

A Domotz might offer more functionality. @kltaylor, you've got a Domotz agent, care to chime in here? Would that help out is @bvg going to need a second Fingbox?

The higher tier service of Domotz will allow you to monitor more than one external interface (WAN, WAP, etc.)
    The only means that you could use one Fingbox on two LAN connections would be if the LAN was using advanced IP subnetting.  Meaning that each router would have to be configured as its own subnet within the network.  Most consumer routers will not allow you the ability to perform that function.
    If you have a more robust firewall/router system, like ubiquiti, sonic wall, watchguard, etc. then you could set your network with two subnets and use only one Fingbox.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 Accepted Answer
    Orthelius said:
    you could use a dual wan router, like TL-ER6020 from tp-link, it could be alround load balancing and firewalling your home network
    just connect the two subscriber routers to the dual wan and after that connect fingbox and a switch
    If wireless is something that you use extensively in your home, then you would need to purchase a separate device to add to this for that function.
    Orthelius

Comments

• Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    By definition AFAIK Fing Box is designed to monitor single subnet, so I'm afraid it might not be possible...
    In theory I can imagine making split of these networks to cover 2 contignous IP ranges (e.g. something like 192.168.0.1~127 on the first and 192.168.128~255 on second), enble static routing on routers to allow connections between these 2 subnets and the fake Fing Box to think that it is one subnet 192.168.0.1~255... But this is definitely not trivial and might be heavily dependent on how advanced your routers are in terms of configuration.
    If you want to keep 2 ISPs I'd rather go for dual WAN router with failover capability...
    bvgHronos
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you put it between the routers and the Modem them you're not going to see anything behind the router.

As @Mirekmal stated, the Fingbox is a consumer device designed to monitor single networks (subnets\VLans).

A Domotz might offer more functionality. @kltaylor, you've got a Domotz agent, care to chime in here? Would that help out is @bvg going to need a second Fingbox?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    bvgkltaylor
  • Orthelius
    Orthelius Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    you could use a dual wan router, like TL-ER6020 from tp-link, it could be alround load balancing and firewalling your home network
    just connect the two subscriber routers to the dual wan and after that connect fingbox and a switch
    Hronos
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭

As others had said, a dual WAN router or any device that unify 2 or more ISP connections (for load balancing or fail over) would do the trick, because literally the home network becomes just one.

If you are a DIY kinda guy, you could make it yourself with a Linux box with a couple of multiport NIC devices 😇

Keep looking up!
    bvg
  • bvg
    bvg Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment
    This is a clear answer Hronos, thanks!
    I will need a dual WAN router. Could you direct me to the right (cheap) commercial device to buy off-the-shelf?
    Also, what should the network topology look like?
    My assumption is that I should connect both ISP's LAN cables (once they enter the house) into the WAN-router, and the FING-box behind that?
    Bart
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:

As others had said, a dual WAN router or any device that unify 2 or more ISP connections (for load balancing or fail over) would do the trick, because literally the home network becomes just one.

If you are a DIY kinda guy, you could make it yourself with a Linux box with a couple of multiport NIC devices 😇

There is that.
    Sophos distributes their business-level firewall software for home users, complete OS to run on a system with 2 NIC cards.  If you wanted dual WAN you'd need up to 4 for that.
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bvg said:
    I will need a dual WAN router. Could you direct me to the right (cheap) commercial device to buy off-the-shelf?
    My assumption is that I should connect both ISP's LAN cables (once they enter the house) into the WAN-router, and the FING-box behind that?
    Bart
    That would be correct.  Also please note that you will need to have knowledge of how the router software works in order to set up failover, and again with the wireless connection, you'll need a WAP for that as well.
    It can be done, just please be aware that this will be a task to set up if you haven't the experience from before.
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    It can be done, just please be aware that this will be a task to set up if you haven't the experience from before.
    True! but isn't imposible to put out, and nowadays there are a ton of help in the Interwebs xD
    Keep looking up!
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    bvg said:
    Oww, Thank you!  :)
    Well, some of us are discussing this matter at this community post: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/2664
    Correct! both you ISP modems have to be used to "convert" your cable/fiber to ETHERNET and those go into the WAN ports on the dual WAN router, after that point, your network is just one and then you connect your devices including Fingbox.

Reggards

Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    just turning this into an ideas thread so other users can upvote! Cast your vote if you'd like to see this implemented! 

Community Manager at Fing