How do I track information being intercepted? Like it’s point of origin and whose device?

JaredkentJaredkent Member Posts: 1
Photogenic

I just need a little help here guys that’s all. I’m being picked on. Hopefully not anymore thanks to you

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the post 
    Any advice @kltaylor @Marc @rooted
    Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 6
    Jaredkent , you're going to need some type of firewall/gateway device that allows traffic filtering.  That' the only way you're going to be able to "see" the traffic/websites/applications/ports that devices on your network are using.
    Jaredkentturbonemesis
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 762
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

This is man in the middle functionality which you can only legally persue on your own network.

A switch which does port mirroring and a PC running wireshark can accomplish this but it's not going to provide you with information you can understand unfortunately.

Sorry for the late response, I never got the notification for some reason.

• AustinJerryAustinJerry Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    rooted said:

...but it's not going to provide you with information you can understand unfortunately.

Sorry, not very helpful.  Here is a real-world example of why the information would be helpful to me.  I am a DirecTV subscriber, and recently DTV made a change to their screensaver that results in ads being displayed.  Most DTV subscribers found this to be an unwanted change.  A short time later, a user posted a web URL that the DTV receiver was accessing in order to display the ads.  By simply adding this URL to my router's URL blacklist, I was able to defeat the screensaver ad functionality.  Having an app that monitors URL's that the devices on my home network are using would be very helpful.  Perhaps you can provide a bit more information on how an app like Wireshark could provide that information, with an example of the type of data and a tutorial on how to interpret the data.  Assuming that we are not technical enough to understand that data is not respectful to Fing users.

Fingbox owner from the beginning
  • treetree Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Look at Firewalla.  
    ✭✭✭
    tree said:
    Look at Firewalla.  
    That is not a lot of information to go on.  Based on a brief review I read, Firewalla looks to be similar to a Fingbox.  I don't see how it will allow me to isolate a specific device on my network and observe the outgoing communication to the web.  Perhaps you can provide a little more information on how it can meet the requirements I outlined in my original post.

GinnyHm1
  • treetree Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    The enclosed screen shot is a report on one of my devices.  By double clicking on a destination of concern a block button is shown.
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that is helpful.  But it still seems to me that the functionality of the Firewalla overlaps much of what is already provided by the Fingbox.  While it might provide what I am looking for, I am reluctant to have two similar devices on my network.
  • asadowskyasadowsky Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments Photogenic
    try nextdns.io