New Fingbox v2 not found after being recognized as ready for activation

tourigatouriga Member Posts: 27
10 Comments Name Dropper Founder Photogenic
✭✭
Hi all
I finally decided to replace my v1 Fingbox with a v2. I deactivated the v1 and removed it then added the v2.  In the App I refreshed the devices list.  The new fingbox v2 is present on the network and the led is green, pulsing slowly.  At the end of the device refresh there is a popup messaging saying "Fingbox detected" ... "CANCEL" "ACTIVATE".  When I click activate, it says "Looking for Fingbox". After a little while it says "Fingbox not found".
I have tried everything I can think of. Reboot router, reset fingbox, read and re-read several threads describing similar problems.  Disconnected and powered down the fingbox for at least 10 minutes. Checked the device is not blocked by my router.  Checked the Fing App.  The fingbox appears online as a normal device - everything ok.  I also tried "Add Fingbox" under settings.  Same result: "Fingbox not found"
Nothing works.  I've tried this for several hours now.  Anyone got any ideas?  At what point is this a case for returning a defective device?

Comments

• tourigatouriga Member Posts: 27
    ✭✭

I thought of something else to try over the breakfast table this morning. I thought that if I show someone else the problem it, in its fickleness, will deprive me of the satisfaction, and work first time.

So I walked my wife through the set up ... Alas, even that didn't work. :(

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 855
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks @touriga, I have responded to you privately as we will need more information from you to thoroughly troubleshoot the issues you are facing. Please respond there and we can update the outcome here when complete, for other users. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    touriga
    ✭✭
    Thanks Ciaran
    See further details in my private message to help in analysing the root cause.  In the mean time, in case it helps others, I repeat some of the information below as to what I've found and how I managed to get the Fingbox up and running.
    Rob
    ✭✭
    I managed to fix the problem.  I also give some recommendations at the end.

While waiting to get the Fingbox up and running I decided to do some housekeeping on the networks registered on Fing.  Like many other people report there is very poor network and device synchronisation between the Fing App, Desktop version and Browser portal.  Also between the Fingbox and networks generated on the App.  So I've always accepted that there are duplicated versions of my home network listed on the App (common devices on each, but with different customised names; historical devices not all the same).  In addition there was the Fingbox registered network on the App which had disappeared understandably when I de-activated my v1 Fingbox.  I have no restrictions on size of network.

I took a decision to delete everything and start from ground up once I had got the new Fingbox working.  That's when things got weird.  I could delete the devices from the two versions of my home network.  And I could refresh each independently generating a new device list customising names independently without them synchronising.  Only one of them showed up on my Fing Account.  But when I tried to delete them I couldn't - it gave an error message "failed to delete" or something.  I did manage to delete the one in my Fing Account.

So back to the Community to find out how to address the network delete error.  Various threads on this.  My problem it turned out was synchronisation and sync storage.  I got that fixed and then deleted all my home networks from everywhere.  I left foreign networks intact.  I then held thumbs and tried adding the Fingbox.  Voila!  Immediate success.

Some suggestions for the Fing App:
    1. Provide a notification where there is a problem detected of the nature described above (duplicate networks and sync problems)
    2. Put a clickable indicator on the home screen (and other screens) when there are notifications.  Use a RAG colour status (info, warning, error). 
    3. Replace the "REFRESH" link on the non-Fingbox network device screens with a little animated sync icon on the Fingbox device list screen to show that syncing is happening and is successful.  Make it clickable to allow a forced sync event.
    4. Duplicate as much of the above functionality as possible on the Desktop and Browser Portal.

Rob
    Robin