Strange issue

gh208gh208 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
edited July 31 in Fingbox
I have two WAN connections coming into my main router which handles failover between them.  One WAN connection is provided by an LTE carrier in Canada and the second one is provided by an LTE carrier in the US.  The Canadian WAN connection routes via Canada (Canadian public IP) and the US WAN routes via the US (with a US IP address).  The fing box is behind this dual WAN router.  The fing sits on 192.168.20.x network regardless of which WAN is currently in use.  The challenge I have is that the Fing box only works when the LAN routes to the Canadian carrier.  It flashes Orange when the US Carrier is active.  I want Fingbox to watch the LAN, regardless of which WAN connection is active.  Could someone please help shed some light on what is going on here and why it is not working?  The LAN does not change, the IP addresses do not change and the route to the router stays the same. The only difference is the WAN side routing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭

@gh208 you are probably using different DNS servers on each wan right? I've seen this cause all kinds of problems. Some duel wan routers need to have both wans pointing at the same DNS servers. Other routers need all your internal devices to point at the internal IP address for your router.

It may not seem like this matters because other devices will work with the current settings without issues. It's hit or miss.

Give that a try and see if it changes anything

If it's still trippin' maybe you can provide some actual router info since your problem sure feels like it's router related. Not every duel wan router works alike.

• gh208gh208 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2
    Thank you.  Didnt help.  The DNS is the same regardless of which connection is in use.   The config is pretty simple.  Primary bridge to the outside world is a Netgear LB2120.  It has a wiredbroadband connection and an LTE connection.  The wiredbroadband serves as the primary connection and the LTE connection on the LB2120 is the backup.  The failover is automatic.  The LAN port on the LB2120 connects to an an ASUS AC3100 Router.  This is the primary firewall for the network.  The ASUS is where the DHCP lives, the ASUS protedcts the safe side of the network.  Fing connects to the Asus via wired connection directly into the router. It works perfectly when the LB2120 is running on built in LTE chip (ie broadband connection is disabled) however when the LB2120 is o the primary broadband connection - fing flashes red.  All users work perfectly regardless which connection the LB2120 is using so this is not an internet connectivity issue.   On the corporate side, they will see the fingbox coming from ISP 1 or ISP 2 and it only works on one of them.

i took the dual out of the equation. It is configured for a single connection now. When it routes through the ISP 1 as a single connection it is fine. When it routes via the second ISP the fing is not recognized. However the connection works perfectly for all other devices. 
    ✭✭

I'm going to force my network into fail over tomorrow and see if it runs okay on cellular. I know there can be routing issues with many cellular connections because they don't have a routable public IP address. I had to do a reverse VPN connection to reach my network during fail over on T-Mobile.

I don't know enough about how fingbox communicates with the servers/cloud to know if a specific blocked port might cause this. But I do know cellular data can give you some curve balls. They never have a FAQ or anything easy to find that will list what kind of blocking or routing problems to expect. You might check forums for user input about what they have found using the same provider. Hopefully one of the Fing team can tell you something more specific about ports to check to see if they might be blocked.

✭✭

Oh, I meant to ask how you had DNS setup, I had to point everything at the router address when I had problems during fail over.

I was originally using a multi wan router with 3 wan connections. This might have been prior to the fingbox being installed. Everything worked great except the alarm communicator. It was completely lost and constantly rebooting. They were sure my router had been hit with a DNS hijack virus. Well it wasn't a virus but something changed in the routing that only screwed with the alarm. I had to take it off of using a hard static IP, and setup all lan DHCP to point to the router for DNS. That fixed the problem.

• gh208gh208 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

I have a bad feeling I know what it is. The working connection has a public IP address (not fixed but public) and the one that chokes has double NAT and the address on the router is still a 10.x.x.x on the outside. I wonder if fing works in this config.