Can i identify a generic device using the ip and mac address?

Any help appreciated.

Answers

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 #2
    It kinda depends. MAC addresses used to be fixed and prefixes allocated to vendors, now, with MAC address randomization it's getting a little harder.

Is it just one device in particular, or this more of a generic question?

If it's a single item you're looking for help on, then if you paste it's reported MAC address then we might be able to help.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    joltdudeHarleychikykltaylor
  • GadgetVirtuoso
    GadgetVirtuoso Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    Fing already does this but you can search online and see what you can find. With so many manufactures using generic parts it can sometimes be hard to identify those devices.

https://aruljohn.com/mac.pl is one such site you can use to search.

Harleychiky
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    anything to add on this @Gidster

Community Manager at Fing

• Harleychiky
    Harleychiky Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you for the responses. I should have mentioned that it does say it's a Samsung device but does not specify what kind of device. Just says generic. The 2 other Samsung devices on the WiFi show as mobiles, which is correct. Can you change what your own device displays as...e.g. could I make my mobile phone show up as a "generic" device when viewed by someone else? Apologies in advance for my rookie-ness 😬

VioletChepil
  • GadgetVirtuoso
    GadgetVirtuoso Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    You can edit the name of any device when you know which device you're looking at.
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any help appreciated.

@Pooh said it best, we used to have the ability to search a MAC address and have it at least display the manufacturer of the device, not-so-much anymore.
    If it says Samsung device, how many of those are on your network?  When something like this is presented to me on my network, I either walk through the house to turn off any Samsung device that we have until I see that device 'go dark'.  Or if I really want to be lazy, I block that MAC address from accessing anything including the internet and wait for someone to 'complain' that their device cannot access the internet.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • Pecas71
    Pecas71 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

In my main access point, several equipments appear with a generic name, for example "Shenzhen Inc.", but smartphones appear with their name. In Fing you can edit those names to make it easier for you to identify them, "Laser printer", "MPF", "ONT", "Room smart tv", etc.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Harleychiky let us know your feedback and choose a BEST ANSWER if you like some responses :) 

Community Manager at Fing

• Larry
    Larry Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    You can edit the name of any device when you know which device you're looking at.
    Larry asks - Why can't you edit the Mac address if it displays as gneeric and you find out what it is (say even from a label on the hardware).
    Don't believe there would be any need to edit Mac address if it was a real one, but the generic Mac address (i get 20:00....00) should be allowed to be changed.  And why does it display that and not the Mac address?  I though that what Fing was all about?!?!?!?
    Larry
    2019SP05 22:40