2.1 - ? in device list > poorly formatted "? confirm it's yours?"

AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 23
10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭
Hi,
I've just updated from Fing Desktop v2.0 to 2.1 and noticed in my All Devices list that some of the devices had a question mark in the details column. This is new in v2.1.

I mouse hovered over this new question mark icon - no tooltip.

I then clicked into the device detail. There was nothing that jumped out of the page to indicate any problem, or missing information.. I checked 3-4 different devices trying to work out whether this question mark maybe related to incomplete discovery, or missing location, or something... anything!?!?! ..and then I eventually saw, in the device detail title section, after the 4 buttons labeled 'Edit', 'Delete', 'Recognize', 'Events', a poorly formatted line of text saying "? Confirm it's yours".

This was a completely unintuitive linkage from the '?' in the All Devices list, to this ownership confirmation. It would've helped immensely if there was a tooltip on the '?' on the All Devices list AND/OR the "? Confirm it's yours" text label was highlighted or stood out more in some way.
Tagged:

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,348
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AnthonyB, I’m glad I am not the only one that noticed this.  Maybe even Fing putting a hover over text describing what this is would help.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    AnthonyB
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks for reporting @Marc @AnthonyB
    Can you please share the screenshot of this so I can investigate further? Also, what kind of devices were showing as (?)

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin , see below screenshots.  Note nothing is broken, just confusing or obscure...

If you are just looking at the screen (See below), there is really nothing to tell you what the question mark is for and once you click in the device, what you're supposed to do.  Perhaps making the highlighted question mark on the below page the same shape and color as the question mark on the device page??  Or enable hover over on the device page above to explain what it is, or both.

AnthonyB
  • AnthonyBAnthonyB Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    +1 on what Marc said.

To further explain my comment about "? Confirm it's yours" being poorly formatted, run Fing Desktop in a narrower window and it looks like this:

It was a bit weird (for mine) which devices is decided to 'question'. There was no obvious pattern. While I had a good mix of phones and tablets, I also had my Solar Panel inverter, 1 of my 8 LIFX lights, 1 of my 3 Sensibo Sky AirCon controllers, my HDHomeRun Connect Quattro, my Xbox One X, my underfloor heating thermostat, and others. It felt very random!
    admin
    Hi @AnthonyB @Marc
    The (?) icon is the new addition to Fing desktop for added security. It is to identify any intruder and acknowledge if the device is known or not. You can check the release notes for this addition on Fing desktop by clicking on the Fing desktop version. If you recognize a device and if you click "Confirm its yours" then Fing desktop will remember that for next time. Whenever a new device will connect to the network, it will display a ? icon next to it.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, your explanation should be in the hover over of the icon.  I understand what it does and what its for now but its not apparent without an explanation.  Does this request make sense?
    AnthonyB
    admin
    Marc said:
    @Robin, your explanation should be in the hover over of the icon.  I understand what it does and what its for now but its not apparent without an explanation.  Does this request make sense?
    I agree with you. I will pass this feedback to our developers for review. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    MarcAnthonyB