One IP, 2 MACs, is it the same device?

TemosheeTemoshee Member Posts: 22
10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper Photogenic
Here you see two entries for what I assume is the same Samsung multiroom speaker. My guess is that the two MAC addresses are for the Ethernet card and the Wifi connector because they have identical local IPs. Does that sound right? Without opening the speaker I don't see any way to identify the MAC numbers for sure. Further confusion for me is in documentation that implies devices only have one MAC address. Don't they often have more than one (as I am guessing is the case here)?   Thanks for any ideas. :)

Best Answer

• turbonemesisturbonemesis Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Answers 5 Likes Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    You are correct. Mac addresses change based on the internet adapter.
    Temoshee

Answers

• TemosheeTemoshee Member Posts: 22
    Shouldn't each MAC address be assigned a unique IP by the DHCP Server?  In my situation I am wondering how it knows that both of those network interfaces should be assigned the same IP. Also, the MAC address is not changing, both show up as live connections in Fing. I guess what bothers me is that I don't have a way to identify which MAC is for WiFi and which is for Ethernet.
    My computer's ip does actually change based on whether I'm plugged in via ethernet or whether I'm on wifi. I'll keep thinking of ideas to try and help you figure it out, that's weird that both devices show as though they are online no matter what.
    Temoshee
    Your router is what handles the ip assignment, maybe you could learn something by logging into there?
    Temoshee
    Does Fing show two entries for your computer at the same time? One for Ethernet and one for Wifi? I am thinking this speaker has a problem because it is doing that, but I also have a Chromebox that does the same thing and no problems there. I need to learn more about the router to look there. Thanks.

No, mine shows one or the other—never both at the same time.

Now I am thinking you are correct about going into the router settings. Someone on another forum said they had to go into the router and blacklist the Wifi for that one device to force the speaker onto Ethernet only. It would be nice if I could do that in the Fing app alone.