Incorrect device ID name for a device i blocked

James_GidiyupJames_Gidiyup Member Posts: 3
First Comment
edited July 23 in Fingbox
I have a device that is on my network that i can not find anywhere in my home. The MAC address is not associated with any device i have. So i blocked it. It keeps coming back as another device name ie Mac Book Pro  which it is not. Why does Fing not know what the device is that is coming in on my network that is clearly blocked.   It is a chromecast device i have no idea where it is .

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @James_Gidiyup

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

Also, if there is any device which has the MAC randomization enabled then Fing app might not be able to recognize completely as the MAC address is a virtual one. 

To note: Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!