scan all devices leads to Blank screen - MAC O.S

simonbaverstocksimonbaverstock Member Posts: 1
edited July 2020 in Fing Desktop
hi
is there an issue with the scan all devices tab on fing desktop as all im getting today is a white screen with the fing logo in the corner?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,193
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @simonbaverstock, not that I can see.  I just tried it on my desktop.  Latest macOS version (not beta) ...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • ArieArie Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Comment
    I've got the same issue
    Latest MacOS (10.15.6)
    Fing 2.0
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,193
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Arie , @Robin , any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Everything works fine till I've tried to update the name of one device then the desktop app crashed.
    Since every time I'm clicking on 'See all devices" I'm getting blank screen.
    I have tried to reinstall app without result.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,796
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited July 2020
    Thanks @Marc
    Hi @Arie @simonbaverstock
    Can you please delete the network detected by the Fing desktop from the fing web app or Fing mobile app and then run a new scan on Fing desktop and then check if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    deleted as suggested
    then on the Desktop:
    1. 'see all devices' ---> Blank page
    2. 'see insights' show Statistics (see picture attached) 
    3. if you click on a brand you get the details, then on a specific device you get it then,
    4. Back to home ---> Blank page
    5. Click on 'Score' ---> Blank page

edited July 2020
    Correction, after deleting all networks both on the web then on the mobile, I was able to scan again on Desktop.
    Juste 'Score' bring me to a blank page 
    I've lost more of the personnalisation done on the devices before
    After disconnection from my Local network (Gigabit) and connecting to my network with my WiFi, the problem come back again...
    admin
    Thanks @Arie

To address the blank screen, Can you please follow these commands on the terminal and let me know of the result? 

• Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

• Command 2: sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

On running the 2nd command, it will ask for a password and you need to enter the login password of your MacBook 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Hi,
    Command 1 = 954
    Command 2 = COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    fingagent 954 root   19u  IPv4 0x16801ea2cb467df7      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)
    "See all devices ---> BLANK SCREEN
    admin
    Thanks @Arie

Can you please run this command and then reboot your device and then check if the issue persists? 

Commandsudo kill -9 954 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    No progress...same issues
    admin
    Arie said:
    No progress...same issues
    I have sent you a private message as I would require the log files from you to investigate this. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    edited July 2020
    I answered you 
    thanks
    Robin
  • zrazra Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I have this issue too on Fing desktop 2.0 Mac
    MacOS 10.14.6
    It used to work fine, I'm not sure when it changed, but it just presents a blank unresponsive window. All I can do is close it, can't move or resize it. Bummer, because I really liked Fing now it's not nearly as useful.

admin
    Hi @zra
    There is a new version Fing desktop 2.1.0. Can you please update to latest version and then check if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Hi @Robin,
    Both issues (Blank screen in Scan devices and Score) are solved with this new release.
    Thanks
  • jpkeatesjpkeates Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    @robin I have the same issue under 2.1.0.
    The solution using terminal has just worked to get the app back.

Robin
  • zrazra Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited August 2020
    Thanks @Robin, 2.1.0 has resolved the issue for me currently
    Robin
  • RichardESwansonRichardESwanson Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have also been getting a blank screen, when I reboot everything works again. I have a Dell desktop running the latest version of windows 10.

After reboot everything is back. This has been happening in the last few months. Any ideas why this is happening? Not very handy having to reboot to see my network devices. It use to work just fine until I paid the extra money for more features. Kind of sorry that I did that. 

admin
    Thanks for the screenshots @RichardESwanson
    It seems like WinpCap and NpCap is creating issues. With the new version 2.4.1, we have replaced winPcap with NpCap. I would like you to follow these steps and the issue should be resolved.  

-> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible)  

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap:  

- Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled  
    - Uninstall Npcap  

-> Reboot your device to safe mode with networking  

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it.  

-> Reboot to normal mode and then check if it works for you.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    WinpCap is not loaded on my computer, NpCap is, but it is not running as a service.

I do have the option to uninstall "Npcap OEM". This was installed on 11/24/2020 and it is version 1.00.
    Is this what you want me to do? 
    admin
    @RichardESwanson
    Yes, please use Revo uninstaller or Iobit uninstaller to remove NpCap and then follow the steps as I mentioned. I will be looking forward to your reply.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    I have looked at your suggestions and I am concerned about installing a non Microsoft program to uninstall "Npcap OEM" that was installed by, I am assuming, your Fing undated software on November 24, 2020. In searching for information about this I keep getting all kinds of ad's, etc. Seems to me that if Fing software installed it, it should be able to uninstall it and clean up the registry at the same time. 
    Anyway, what is plan B? 
    admin
    I have looked at your suggestions and I am concerned about installing a non Microsoft program to uninstall "Npcap OEM" that was installed by, I am assuming, your Fing undated software on November 24, 2020. In searching for information about this I keep getting all kinds of ad's, etc. Seems to me that if Fing software installed it, it should be able to uninstall it and clean up the registry at the same time. 
    Anyway, what is plan B? 
    The software I mentioned was to remove previous NpCap so we can re-install Fing desktop and update the NpCap as well. If you don't want to use any other software to uninstall NpCap then you can do it manually making sure it is uninstalled correctly. Then you can download a fresh copy of Fing desktop and install it and then check if it works fine. NOTE: please install Fing desktop under safe mode with networking so none of the antivirus/firewall blocks it.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Thanks for your advice, but Fing desktop has been working lately so I am not going to do anything. I am 75 years old and have been working with computers since the early 70's. I worked on mainframes for more that 30 years and been with PC's since they started making them. My last job was a network administrator for 12 years before I retired. One of the things that I learned when working on mainframes was "if it is not broken, then don't fix it" and what I always told my people when I was a network administrator was if you have problems, reboot, if it is still not working then call me. I am not sure why Fing desktop has been working for the last 2 weeks, but it has been and so is everything else. Time will tell, if I start having issues again I will follow your advice.
    Richard