FingBox blocks entire set of known devices

Codfish
Codfish Member Posts: 9
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
edited July 19, 2020 in Fingbox #1
I have Fing set NOT to block unknown devices. However today, when my main router rebooted, none of the (known) devices beyond an etherswitch could get an IP address. Fing listed them as "Device attemping to connect to the network". The workaround was to power off FingBox and reboot everything.
Why did FingBox do this?
(Note that this is a Wired network and the etherswitch is a bog standard unmanaged mac bridge)

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Codfish you didn’t mention why your rebooted so it’s difficult to guess why Fingbox behaved that way. However, your actions, restart the Fingbox, were exactly what I would have recommended doing. Dramatic, potentially catastrophic, events on a network can cause unpredictable behaviour across devices. Should the issue persist then you you need to investigate further but I suspect you’ll not get to the bottom of what caused the event now.
    Robin_from_Fing
  • Codfish
    Codfish Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, @Pixelpopper, thanks for your comments. The reboot was an overnight maintenance one, I guess. They happen.
    If would be *really* good to understand what "<device> is attempting to connect to the network" really means. I think it means "I've hijacked ARP or DHCP for <device> and nothing more will happen" as the device will never get an address while Fingbox is alive. If this is the case, then I need to work out what logic FingBox runs to  exclude a number of devices - even when [allow unknown devices] is set.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin could you comment or direct @Codfish to a reply to the question  “It would be *really* good to understand what "<device> is attempting to connect to the network" really means”
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,131
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Pixelpopper
    @Codfish
    Without looking at that exact alert, I don't want to comment as Fingbox tries to alert you for cases when a new devices is trying to connect to network or if there is any gateway change alert or some device acts as a gateway and sometimes when a firewall or defender is active and because of that it produces an alert. 
    If the issue happens again, please take a screenshot of alert and post it here and I can guide you further. As of now, none of the other users have reported this issue so I am not sure how to replicate this.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!