Why do I have so many generic devices on my network?

BeccaBecca Member Posts: 1

I joined fing because my network won't let me connect more than two devices to wifi at a time.

I did a device scan with fing and 267 generic devices were found! 1 iPhone ( mine) and 1 ” Light ”.

Does anyone have an idea of what these devices could be?

Answers

• Commgeek12Commgeek12 Member Posts: 2
    5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 19
    Is this a trick question? I can't believe almost 500 people viewed this and nobody answered. What I see in the jpeg you provided is that your router is in bridge mode and those are WAN IP addresses. LAN/local IPs are usually 192.168... or !0.!0... addresses. The reason you can't add more addresses is because you ain't where yer supposed to be and there are limitations of the subnet. You need to call your ISP and have them take your router out of bridge mode or go and get yourself a router of your own and set it up behind your carrier's router. The carrier can easily change it by remote if you route your call to tech support. I've encountered this scenario in the past and tech support is always surprised because "bridge mode" is not the default. What you are seeing are all of your neighbors routers. Also, any IT guy worth his salt can log in to your router with a laptop and fix this for you. What is likely to happen, after you call your provider, is they will ship you another router and have you return this one. Hopefully they'll rehab it properly this time..

Just one more thing, brilliant thinking to attempt using Fing to solve your problem. You just demonstrated the useful utility of this program. Yay, Fing!..
    Ciaranlynnkmca222Roxie66hopad
  • hopadhopad Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    First Comment Photogenic
    Kuddos' to you Sir Commgeek12. Your answer to Becca's question is not only informative and detailed, but presented in a professional non-judgmental way. Refreshing!