Why can't I just enter a device information Brand & Model manually and that be it?

SECSEC Member Posts: 18
10 Comments Photogenic
Why can't I just enter a device information Brand & Model manually and that be it? Your Fingpedia is, at best, inadequate. Actually a pain...   I've got the box the device came in. Let me enter it!

Tagged:

Answers

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 272
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Fing app?  I manually put all my device info in and don't have to do anything else.
  • SECSEC Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Sorry.  This is the desktop app.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 874
    500 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Answers 100 Likes
    admin
    Hi, you can still edit any device and add whatever name or customisation you prefer. To do this, click on the relevant device and choose 'Edit'
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Again, sorry. Not making myself clear. I can "name" the device. However, after that "recognize" takes the brand, Monoprice, but inserts an incorrect model. Mine is a printer server, the recognition is some kind of media player. Additionally the OS is shown as macOS which can't be changed either.  I want to be able to change/edit these as well.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    SEC said:
    Again, sorry. Not making myself clear. I can "name" the device. However, after that "recognize" takes the brand, Monoprice, but inserts an incorrect model. Mine is a printer server, the recognition is some kind of media player. Additionally the OS is shown as macOS which can't be changed either.  I want to be able to change/edit these as well.
    Are you editing the device on Fing app or Fing desktop? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Desktop
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    SEC said:
    Desktop
    Have you tried suggesting the exact model number and icon? While manually identifying the devices, if the exact model is not found then you can scroll down and make a suggestion as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!