Nearly a third of users give AT&T the thumbs down

Gidster
Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2019 in AT&T #1

As of the July 11th 2019, the Fing ISP scoreboard placed AT&T at a reasonable 6th place in the US in terms of speed but a disappointing 15th place in terms of ratings provided by app users. 

With an average download speed of 70mbps and an impressive 47.2mbps upload speed, it has achieved a Fing speed rating of 2.5 out of 5. On average, Fing app users have rated it 2.8 out of 5 stars, with 36% of users giving it a 4 or 5 star rating and 30% only 1 star.

Between 4th April and July 11th July 2019, the Fing Outage Detector registered 25 outages across the US for AT&T since, all but 4 being low severity.

If speed is OK for most, why are so many people unhappy with AT&T. Are there huge regional variations? Perhaps it's the legacy of being the oldest and largest telecoms company in the US that is making it pretty shaky? What do you think?
Head of Product at Fing

Comments

• RWild
    RWild Member Posts: 60
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Actually low speeds that hover just at the contractual minimum IS my beef with AT&T and its GigaFiber service. For me, it almost never drops - maybe once in two years but the speed has dropped from around 984 Mbps to around 500 Mbps over this period.  AT&T tiers are set up so that the minimum “acceptable” speed is the maximum speed of the next slowest tier.  I see this with the Fingbox and Ookla speed tests.  Of course, the AT&T speed test continues to yield speeds above 900 Mbps.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback @RWild hopefully more customers will chime in soon ^^ 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RWild are you still using them or planning to change? 

Community Manager at Fing

• RWild
    RWild Member Posts: 60
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    It turned out that it was Spectrum that I dropped, not AT&T.  Won’t go into the issues with Spectrum.  With AT&T, I’ve been doing more playing around with it since the Spectrum issues arose and am now not sure whether something changed with the iPad I usually test from, whether I am misremembering past results, routing has changed in the network, or what but if I run OOKLA speed test from a wired computer with real  gigabit NICs I am now back in 800+ Mbps territory; however just ran from within Fink and directly with Ookla and both yielded ~ 35/75 from the iPad.  I swear I remember hitting 700 to 800 from the iPad.

Since I can still hit over 800 or even 900 using a wired connection I can’t really bust their chops anymore.  Besides, who would I go to now that I dropped Spectrum and Google isn’t here yet?
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    RWild said:
    but if I run OOKLA speed test from a wired computer with real  gigabit NICs I am now back in 800+ Mbps territory; however just ran from within Fink and directly with Ookla and both yielded ~ 35/75 from the iPad.  I swear I remember hitting 700 to 800 from the iPad.
    speeds as high as 800mbit/s are pretty near impossible over Wifi, I think; that speed will be limited by your wifi kit - both the router and ipad - and local conditions (such as distance and RF congestion). If the router and ipad are older and only support 802.11b and single channel (ie. not MIMO), for instance, then the numbers you're reporting seem reasonable.
    Head of Product at Fing