DHCP Discovery in Mac Fing Desktop app hangs indefinitely

2»

Answers

• jpkeatesjpkeates Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Robin said:
    jpkeates said:
    This worked for me for a while with 2.1.0 and now it's stopped again.
    The pgrep command now returns two numbers.
    Can you check the permissions for Fing desktop? You can check this in System Preferences > Security and Privacy. Be sure to have Fing Desktop turned on (check off the box) in the "Full Disk Access" and "Files and Folders" sections. After that, reboot the device and then try to run scan again.
    Thanks.
    The Full Disk Access permission wasn't enabled (the Files and Folders setting was correct). Fixed it, rebooted and now working again.
    Thank you!
  • DonaldHallDonaldHall Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    @Robin.  I can confirm that Fing has access to my files and folders with full disk access but still hangs while collecting final disk info.
    jpkeates said:
    Thanks.
    The Full Disk Access permission wasn't enabled (the Files and Folders setting was correct). Fixed it, rebooted and now working again.
    Thank you!
    And now it hangs before completing.

Becoming a bit of a pain now.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @jpkeates

Can you confirm if you have any VPN connection or any firewall running on your device which is blocking the connection of Fing Desktop to its servers?

If you have any firewall, can you either disable it or put Fing Desktop in Whitelist so it can make the connection to its servers and then check if the issue persists?

If the Issue persists, Can you please share the log files with us?

One way:

To access the log files, If you click on the Fing Desktop version in the bottom-left part of the sidebar you would be able to click on 'i' icon which provides two folders to open. Can you open the app log folder and share the log.log file if it is present in the folder? Also, send the entire files you can find in the service log folder. You need to compress both files together to attach it. 

Another way(Manual):

You need to go to the location of the Fing Desktop folder and get the log files manually. You need to share the log.log file from the app log folder. And, fing-agent.log file (without any number after 'agent') from the service log folder.

For Windows:

To do this, go to this location by putting the address under ‘Run’ window (Press CTRL+R to open)

1) C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\FingAgent\Log (Service Log Folder)

2) C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Fing (App Log Folder)

For MAC:

To do this, click on Finder and then from the option on Top, click on ‘Go’ or you can press the shortcut(Shift+Cmd+G) and type the location below and get the log files.

Service Folder: /Library/Logs/FingAgent

App Folder: /Library/Logs/FingAgent

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    @Robin - VPN was the issue.
    I'll switch it off to run Fing tools.
    Robin
    @Robin.  Thought I would try your advice to @jpkeates on my Mac.  I am not running a VPN but I added an exception to the firewall for the Fing app, rebooted and tried the DHCP Discovery tool again.  No luck though, it still hangs on Collecting final DCHP info...
    admin
    @Robin.  Thought I would try your advice to @jpkeates on my Mac.  I am not running a VPN but I added an exception to the firewall for the Fing app, rebooted and tried the DHCP Discovery tool again.  No luck though, it still hangs on Collecting final DCHP info...
    Can you try to disable the firewall and then try again?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    @Robin.  Tried that yesterday but it made no difference.  I didn't reboot between disabling the firewall and running the DCHP Recovery tool though.  Should I have done so?
    admin
    @Robin.  Tried that yesterday but it made no difference.  I didn't reboot between disabling the firewall and running the DCHP Recovery tool though.  Should I have done so?
    yes, please reboot the device after disabling the firewall and then check by running a scan. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    @Robin.  Well, that was interesting.  After rebooting and with the firewall still turned off, I ran the DHCP Recovery tool and it still appeared to hang.  I then opened Activity Monitor and noticed there were two instances of the Fing Helper process running as well as the Fing process, so I opened each in turn and quit them all.  I then restarted the Fing Desktop app and ran the DHCP Recovery tool again, which ran to completion with no hang.  I then turned on the firewall and refreshed the DHCP Recovery tool, which again ran to completion.  Strangely, Activity Monitor again shows two instances of the Fing Helper process running, as well as the Fing process.  Is the problem fixed for good on my Mac?  Time will tell!
    Robin
  • rick_x8rick_x8 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    Any new developments in the last couple of weeks for those of us that are still experiencing this issue to try out?  I'm willing to help debug and provide any details I can.  
    I just tried to open the Fing Desktop on my MacBook Pro to see if the DHCP Recovery tool is working and got this error message: 

Fing Service not found

We're reconnecting to the Fing Service. If you keep seeing this page, try rebooting or reinstalling the latest version of Fing App to resolve the issue. If the problem persists, you can contact us at [email protected]

I have had enough of this app and am now going to move it to the bin.

admin
    rick_x8 said:
    Any new developments in the last couple of weeks for those of us that are still experiencing this issue to try out?  I'm willing to help debug and provide any details I can.  
    We are still investigating the cause for this. I will reach out to you if I need more log files to investigate this. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    admin
    Hi @rick_x8
    I would require more files from you to investigate this. I have DM you, Can you provide me more information on this? Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)