DHCP Discovery in Mac Fing Desktop app hangs indefinitely

rick_x8rick_x8 Member Posts: 6
First Comment Photogenic
I am experiencing an issue with the premium desktop Fing app (2.0.0) running on my MacOS (10.15.5) when attempting to perform a DHCP discovery test.  The test begins, makes it through its test progress bar, but then it hangs on the "collecting final DHCP info" screen indefinitely.  I have tried it 3-4 times and I have let it run as long as an hour before killing it.  I have rebooted my mac to confirm it is not a long uptime glitch.  
I do not have any problems with performing the same steps in Windows 10 with the Fing desktop app.  I get results in a couple of minutes on Windows.  
I can confirm that my mac is completely patched and that every permission the Fing app asked for has a checkmark beside it in my security settings, so it is allowed.  I do not have problems running any of the other features of the Fing desktop app.  Other Fing desktop tools like "find open ports" and "DNS Lookup" also work without incident.  

Paul_Bunnell

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @rick_x8

Thanks for your post. To address your query, Can you please follow these commands on the terminal and let me know of the result? 

• Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

• Command 2: sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

On running the 2nd command, it will ask for a password and you need to enter the login password of your MacBook 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rick_x8rick_x8 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 16
    [Edited as my code block only rendered 1 line even though I put more in it]
    Hi Robin, thanks for the response.  Here is the output of those commands.
    $ date
    Thu Jul 16 13:37:18 EDT 2020
    $ /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 
    $ sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 
    Password:
    COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    fingagent 1022 root   15u  IPv4 0xb7cba9070bf656cd      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)
    $
    admin
    Hi @rick_x8

Can you please run this command and then reboot your device and then check if the issue persists? 

Commandsudo kill -9 1022 

I will be looking forward to your reply. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 23
    Hi, I tried both rebooting and killing off/restarting the process but no change in behavior.  The discovery still hangs indefinitely.  Please see the attached terminal screenshot with the commands I ran.

• jpkeatesjpkeates Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi
    I have the same problem. Never completes (and uses a credit each time!)

Fing is also alerting me that DHCP is "not healthy" and then that everything is working properly a few minutes later. The two messages alternate continually (and continuously).
    As far as I can tell DHCP is working fine - new devices connect without issue. The only evidence that something is wrong is the warning. It's possible that there are an unusually large number of devices on the single DHCP server, but it's within the maximum.
    Paul_Bunnell
  • DonaldHallDonaldHall Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have exactly the same problem with my 16" MacBook Pro running Catalina v10.15.6 and it happened under the previous version of Catalina too.  Pretty infuriating!
    Paul_Bunnell
  • Paul_BunnellPaul_Bunnell Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have exactly the same problem on my 15" MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) running Catalina 10.15.6
    admin
    Hi All,
    We have released a new Fing desktop version 2.1.0 with major bug fixes. Can you please uninstall the Fing desktop and reboot the device and then install the new version and check OR you can leave the Fing desktop open for few minutes and then it will ask to upgrade the Fing desktop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Thanks Robin.  Unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem on my 16" MacBook Pro running Catalina v10.15.6, it still hangs displaying "Collecting final DHCP info...".  It doesn't seem to be an OS problem because it works fine on my 2018 Mac mini running the same version of macOS.
    Same here.
    The new release has the same problem as the previous one.
    Late 2013 iMac running 10.15.5 here.
    Will update to 10.15.6 tonight.
    admin
    Thanks @DonaldHall @jpkeates
    Can you try these commands and then reboot the device and then check? Also, Are you running any antimalware or firewall on mac device?
    Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 
    The first command will return a Number(1234 suppose)
    Command 2: sudo kill -9 number_returned_by_first_command
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Thanks @Robin.

Just completed!
    So fixed for me.
    Unfortunately, it didn't work for me!  Here is the screenshot I took of the terminal window output:

Robin, you didn't mention the prompt for a password in your instructions.  I entered the password that I use to logon to the MacBook and it seemed to accept it.  Did I do everything correctly?

Oops - forgot to mention that I am not using any anti malware but I am using the macOS firewall with permissions granted for Fing Desktop to run.
  • Paul_BunnellPaul_Bunnell Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    After updating desktop Fing to Version 2.1.0, I am no longer experiencing the "indefinite hang" when requesting the DHCP Report. This has fixed the problem for me.
    Robin
    admin

Oops - forgot to mention that I am not using any anti malware but I am using the macOS firewall with permissions granted for Fing Desktop to run.
    Are you on latest version Version 2.1.0?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Yes Robin - v2.1.0.
    Robin, can you confirm that I ran the commands correctly?  Was the prompt for a password expected or did it indicate that the commands may have not completed correctly?
    Sorry, I am new to postings like this.  Perhaps I should have included the at sign:

@Robin, can you confirm that I ran the commands correctly?  Was the prompt for a password expected or did it indicate that the commands may have not completed correctly?
    admin
    Sorry, I am new to postings like this.  Perhaps I should have included the at sign:

@Robin, can you confirm that I ran the commands correctly?  Was the prompt for a password expected or did it indicate that the commands may have not completed correctly?
    Yes, the password is expected. After running the commands, please reboot the device and then check if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    @Robin, I have again carried out the instructions to the letter, specifically:
    1.  I opened Fing Desktop to confirm it is v2.1.0 and then ran the DHCP Discovery tool, which hung as usual.
    2.  I opened a Terminal window, copied and pasted the first command into it and pressed Enter.
    3.  I typed the second command into the Terminal window, using the number (142 this time) provided by running the first command, then pressed Enter.
    4.  I was prompted for a password again so I entered my MacBook login password followed by the Enter key.
    5.  I exited the Terminal window, shut down any open windows and restarted the Mac.
    6.  When it had restarted, I logged in and immediately opened Fing Desktop and ran the DHCP Discovery tool, which hung again!
    Any other suggestions?
    admin
    Thanks @DonaldHall
    In this case, I would require the O.S of your MacBook and the log files to investigate.
    1. Share the output of commands: 'ifconfig' and 'route print' from command line 

2. Share the agent log: To access the agent log files: 

• Click on the Fing Desktop version in the bottom-left hand side of the screen 

• This will display two folders to open. We will need specific files from each of these folders. 

• Firstly, click on 'Open App Log Folder' 

• When the folder opens, we will now need to compress and share the log.log file (titled 'log' - all lowercase). To compress and share: right click on the file; choose 'Send to' & then choose 'Compressed zip folder'. 

• Back in Fing Desktop, now click on the 2nd folder 'Open Service Log Folder' 

• Compress all files inside the Service Log folder and follow the same process as previous.  Please attach both compressed files and DM it to me.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    @Robin, just wondered if you have been able to find anything useful in the information that I DMd to you last week? 
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, I am also still experiencing this issue after the upgrade to 2.1.0 and rebooting several times.  Let me know if you need/want any info from my machine to help debug.  
    admin
    Hi @rick_x8 @DonaldHall
    I have passed on log files to our developers and they are investigating the root cause of this. In meantime, if you can delete the Fing desktop and then reboot device and then re-install and then check to see if the issue persists that will be helpful. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you Robin.  I deleted the fing desktop app, rebooted, re-downloaded the 2.1.0 desktop app, and re-installed.  No change in behavior, still hanging on the DHCP discovery.  
    admin
    rick_x8 said:
    Thank you Robin.  I deleted the fing desktop app, rebooted, re-downloaded the 2.1.0 desktop app, and re-installed.  No change in behavior, still hanging on the DHCP discovery.  
    Thanks for trying. I will update you once I have a reply from developers. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    @Robin.  Didn't make any difference from either.  Just like @rick_x8, I deleted the fing desktop app, rebooted, re-downloaded the 2.1.0 desktop app, and re-installed.  No change in behavior, still hanging on the DHCP discovery.
    This worked for me for a while with 2.1.0 and now it's stopped again.
    The pgrep command now returns two numbers.
    admin
    jpkeates said:
    This worked for me for a while with 2.1.0 and now it's stopped again.
    The pgrep command now returns two numbers.
    Can you check the permissions for Fing desktop? You can check this in System Preferences > Security and Privacy. Be sure to have Fing Desktop turned on (check off the box) in the "Full Disk Access" and "Files and Folders" sections. After that, reboot the device and then try to run scan again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)