Received Evil twin alert 2x

dfontana59
dfontana59 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
hello, I have a  Netgear Nighthawk R7300  that I have been using. Twice I received an evil twin  access point alert, the alerts separated by about 2 weeks. My router  has been having issues and restarting itself many times a day depend  on  outside and inside temps. Could that have caused the alerts?
To remain online, I had the ISP  switch their equipment from bridge mode to router mode.

Is my assumption that the restarts caused the evil twin alerts?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,897
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @dfontana59 , though I have seen electronic equipment restart due to heat issues, it would have to be pretty hot in the area the router is for this to happen.  Is it in a closet?  Is the airflow around it blocked?  If its blocked or stored, you might want to consider moving it to an open area.  If it is already, perhaps a small fan to keep airflow around it moving?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • dfontana59
    airflow was not blocked but it is in a closet as I had to place my wired connections in it. The other downside, unfortunately the builder of the house trying to save money  installed an AC unit too small for the home so it constantly runs which means I use it sparingly.
    But my original  question holds would the restarts have caused a false  evil twin alert?
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,897
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If the alert coincided with the restart then the answer would be a resounding yes.  If not, aka it does not happen when it restarts, I would say no, they are unrelated.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • dfontana59
    I believe the 3 alerts I received were coinciding with the restarts. So thank you that makes me feel better. I have temporarily  stopped using the router and given  router control back to the ISP via their cable Modem/ router. since doing that I have not had issues with my internet connection