How do the capabilities of the fingbox and fing desktop compare?

Daemon
Daemon Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
I am interested in Fing products to protect my network.   I can not find any comparison on the site which shows the overlap and differences between the products.  Obviously, the fingbox is installed on my network and notifying me of security events even when I am not at home.  But if I do not care about remote monitoring how do they compare?

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Daemon said:

I do not feel you answered my question. Let me try asking a different way.

If I own fing desktop premium (subscription) why should I also consider buying a fing box?

And, conversely, if I already own a fing box why should I consider buying a subscription to fing desktop?

Thanks!

As I mentioned Fing Desktop and Fingbox are totally different products. There is no need to buy both but it all depends on your usage and what kind of features do you want to use? Check this link to know Fingbox features: https://help.fing.com/article-categories/key-features/
    Also, Fing desktop has different features that are not integrated with Fingbox. You can compare the features by checking Fingbox features and use the freemium Fing desktop version. 
    Fing Desktop still does have free features that can be used, some of these have limited daily credits, however. Once the credits run out for that particular feature, you will have to wait for the following day to get more credits, or subscribe to Fing Desktop Premium.

Credits cannot be accumulated, i.e. they will reset each day.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Daemon

Fing Desktop is a completely separate product from the Fingbox. From a technical standpoint, in comparison to other Fing products, it can be considered:

Fing Mobile < Fing Desktop < Fing Box.

Fing Desktop allows a far more precise engine than the Fing mobile app, but doesn’t require a purchase of a dedicated hardware. 

All existing Fingbox functionality will still work on Fingbox and there is no subscription for these features. It is a completely separate product from the New Fing Desktop 2.0.

To note: If you have a Fingbox, none of your Fingbox features or functionalities have been affected. Fing Desktop is a completely different product to Fingbox. None of your Fingbox features or functionalities have been affected.

We have released Fing Desktop 2.0 on a ‘Freemium’ basis, i.e. it is free of charge, but a premium would be charged for additional features, services, tools etc. that expand the functionality of the free version of the software).

In this release, we have included a ‘Premium’ option, with additional features and enhanced capabilities including: Intruder Alerts, Security Checks, Timeline of Events & Unlimited tools

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Daemon
    Daemon Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

I do not feel you answered my question. Let me try asking a different way.

If I own fing desktop premium (subscription) why should I also consider buying a fing box?

And, conversely, if I already own a fing box why should I consider buying a subscription to fing desktop?

Thanks!