Thoughts on a daily or 3x per week community digest highlighting top community content?

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Community Updates
Hello all,
I know some of you are not wanting so many alerts, and just wanting the best conversations of the day highlighted in an email. 

Who would be interested in a daily digest of the new conversations happening on community?
This would strictly be top conversations and content and highlight questions that need answers.

Would anyone be interested? This requires some work to configure/manage and so I'm trying to get a feel for how many people would find this useful. 

Add your interest in the poll below (note: this is not an opt-in at this point, but just merely to gauge interest).

We've got a bi-monthly mailer happening every other Friday. This contains some updates/advice/conversations to join but for updates on community activity this may not be frequent enough to get involved. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Community Manager at Fing

Thoughts on a daily or 3x per week community digest highlighting top community content? 17 votes

I'd like a daily digest of top content
29%
JackKayJaypwmeekSimoneSpinozziMariusvam 5 votes
I'd like a 3x weekly digest of top content
35%
TheCustomCavekltaylorBapawEric_TerrasseRickT49jpartain89 6 votes
The bi-monthly newsletter is enough for me
23%
HronosatomicboyPoohIngot 4 votes
Other (comment idea below)
11%
Marclimur 2 votes

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emails are like subscriptions. In isolation, a single daily email is fine, however multiple emails tend to get clogged up. Unlike subscriptions though they can quickly get lost in the mire. When I feel my email get too hectic I tend to do wholesale sweeps from companies and delete them all without reading them. This for me would then make daily emails an impediment rather than an aid.

My 2c is all.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylorHronosFing1
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes @Pooh I see this side. I think some people want to turn off alerts entirely for the community and just come back and chime in once a day or couple times a week on content? This would be the idea for this one. Only conversations they may have missed etc. 
    Trying to find a good balance getting people back to community to help and the platform notifications system - which if you are active can be a lot too! 

• pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 136
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a daily digest of top content
    A daily digest would be an improvement over multiple email notifications, especially if it could be customized for each user: that is, to include the sort of things that now come as separate email notifications - mentions, new posts in threads, etc.
    The Notification Preferences could have a third column for "In Digest" (which would be grayed out if you were not getting a digest). (This might be something new; I don't recall such an option in any of the  many other forums I follow.)
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,823
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A weekly digest would work for me. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepiljoltdude
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @pwmeek this would be a dream come true for me to have this option and something we could strive for but definitely needing some custom dev to make this happen.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc for the feedback. 

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a 3x weekly digest of top content
    Pooh said:
    Emails are like subscriptions. In isolation, a single daily email is fine, however multiple emails tend to get clogged up. Unlike subscriptions though they can quickly get lost in the mire. When I feel my email get too hectic I tend to do wholesale sweeps from companies and delete them all without reading them. This for me would then make daily emails an impediment rather than an aid.

My 2c is all.
    Pay no attention to my poll answer ... I agree with @Pooh ... heh!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me, as @Pooh, have problems when my email get floated with mails from a forum/communities... The bi-monthly newsletter is enough.  But, it would be an improvement over the actual "promoted content" if it automatically adjust to fit the criteria @VioletChepil is summarizing here.
    Keep looking up!
    Pooh
  • atomicboyatomicboy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 67
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I am a member of a few other forums and my preference is check on, a daily basis,  all the new topics since I was last on the forum (using the functionality built into the forum). I then scan the list and a select from the titles that interest me. These forums will pin important topics such as new beta releases and new firmware releases. 

• limurlimur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I check on a semi-daily basis on all the forums I'm on. Would it be possible to have a "View posts since last visit" button, @VioletChepil (or is there one and I've missed it)?
    ...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...
    Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @limur I'd love to have that too. Unfortunately, there isn't really this type of feature persay. Recent discussions would be the best place to start and I am daily changing the promoted content on the homepage with the latest interesting discussions! 
    Recent discussions: https://community.fing.com/discussions
    Activity: https://community.fing.com/activity 
    I would like something like this developed in the new year as an absolute priority. My main goal right now is to prove the value of the community and generate uptake. Then it will be easier for me to get buyout for getting new features/development and improvements etc. 

limur
  • limurlimur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    @VioletChepil Thank you. I'v changed my landing page to the Activity page, for now. 
    ...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...
    Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous @limur I'm really hoping we can get something better in the new year as I definitely understand the need for this...

limur